Funko POP! Vinyl Figures

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Funko POP! Vinyl Figures

Post by Kong Wen »

Does anyone collect these little fellahs? Or at least own a few? They seem to be pretty much everywhere. I'm actually impressed with how many niche characters, series, and subcultures they manage to represent. I imagine it makes completionist collecting totally impossible, unless you stick to your specific fandoms.

I tend not to buy into toy/figure collection culture (c.f. my attitude towards amoeba), but I've still managed to end up with a couple of these on my shelf. A friend of mine from work gets a bunch of them and has gifted a couple to me: Deadpool without his hood, and Bilbo wearing the One Ring (yes, the whole thing is translucent). And of course, now that there's a Destiny 2 line on the market, I have a Commander Zavala on the way, and I'm trying to convince myself not to shell out for the others.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Funko POP! Vinyl Figures

Post by The Shoemaker »

I do like how they manage to get pretty Interesting characters and variations, but I've never really been a fan of how they look, or how they take up an entire wall at EB Games :p

But like Amiibo, it's cool that it's one consistent design that covers multiple unrelated series.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote: 06 Sep 2017 17:08 I've never really been a fan of how they look, or how they take up an entire wall at EB Games
I wish that they'd carry more of a variety of Funko merchandise, but the thing is that POP! is the only thing people get. More Rock Candy and DORBZ would be nice (despite the latter all marked at clearance).

The last figures I got were shared exclusives (Summer Convention 2017) at EB Games and Hot Topic, with that Princess Lela & R2-D2, flocked CatDog and a couple of South Park and Stranger Things characters.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

kitroplious wrote: 06 Sep 2017 18:13 The last figures I got were shared exclusives (Summer Convention 2017) at EB Games and Hot Topic, with that Princess Lela & R2-D2, flocked CatDog and a couple of South Park and Stranger Things characters.
Sounds like you've got a good collection on the go. You should post a pic when you get a chance. :)
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

The Shoemaker wrote: 06 Sep 2017 17:08 I've never really been a fan of how they look.
I agree. I think their design is completely unappealing.

I'm not even the biggest fan of amiibo despite how many I own, but in their case, at least relatively few liberties are taken with respect to the original character design/dimensions. Plus, some amiibo constitute the only existent figurines of their respective characters (eg Captain Falcon).
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I agree on their weird design as well. This is the reason I tend to prefer the ones they make for weird characters, like Oryx from Destiny. He's basically a big monster, so the super-deformed look doesn't distort him as much. Some people find them really cute though. Mrs. Kong has a Slash (Guns 'n' Roses) and Baby Groot.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I've gotten roped into grabbing a few of these and I'm ashamed to admit there are a few more I'll probably "need" if I see them and have cash to blow. Thus far I've got:

Jumbo Winston (Overwatch)
Mei (Overwatch)
Jumbo Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man (my girls').

They released Ren and Stimpy. Uh oh.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I might actually be more into these if i didnt have amiibo. I guess I'm just not interested in starting another collection.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 06 Sep 2017 17:08 I do like how they manage to get pretty Interesting characters and variations, but I've never really been a fan of how they look, or how they take up an entire wall at EB Games :p
If you don't like how it took up an entire wall of EB games then you should not step into one Game Traders store here.
One & a third wall took up plus a couple of smallish aisle shelving units leaving only a third of the store dedicated to actual videogames.
At that point they might as well rename themselves to pop traders.

Just glad that they scale it down a bit in pop vinyl's & diverse a bit in terms of pop culture merchandise.
Still they not quite into dealing as much into retro games as they used to be thou.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I've got just a couple of these little guys. I have the predator from the film of the same name and Michael Meyers from the Halloween films.

I want to get a few more (Jason, a few Assassin's Creed ones, Alien), but I don't expect to go nuts. I'm glad there aren't Tales ones yet...
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.