Atari VCS (was: Atari Box)

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Atari VCS (was: Atari Box)

Post by Kong Wen »

Just some more info about this weirdly directionless thing. Sounds like Atari has spent some $$ to license Android-based OS software, possibly with an eye to allow some mobile integration (or, less ambitiously, mobile ports to the VCS).

Nothing terribly interesting here, but at least it's confirmation that they still have money to make acquisitions, and they're still working on this console.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Alright, many years and many lols later, this thing is finally on the market. It's $300-400. It comes with 100 Atari games, a stick and controller, and is also just basically a PC with Chrome on it. If they ever develop any new games for this I'll eat my tiny yogurt helmet.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I think the joystick controller would be kind of fun to own for Atari emulation, but other than that, this thing seems like a huge bust. Just can't see anything it accomplishes that any ordinary PC doesn't.
You got BOOST power!