Best 2D Mario?

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.

What's the best 2D Mario game?

Super Mario Bros. (NES)
5%
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (NES)
No votes
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
No votes
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
42%
Super Mario World (SNES)
26%
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
11%
Super Mario Land OR Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
No votes
New Super Mario Bros. (DS) OR New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
5%
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) OR New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
11%
Super Mario Run (Mobile)
No votes

Total votes: 19

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Best 2D Mario?

Post by Kong Wen »

Super Mario Odyssey just came out on Switch. It's the best game that has ever existed in any genre, at least until people's fangasms have a chance to cool down in a month or so. So with that in mind, it's time for a community poll!

What's the best 2D Mario game?
  • Everyone has two (2) votes.
  • You're allowed to give both votes to the same game if you feel strongly enough. The dropdown in the poll indicates how many votes you're casting for that option.
  • You're also allowed to change your votes if you change your mind, since this isn't a contest and vote manipulation after seeing the results doesn't benefit anyone.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
evildevil97
Adept

Re: Best 2D Mario?

Post by evildevil97 »

SMB3 > SMW. I gave two votes to SMB3. I always loved the variety of powerups, and the craziness of the worlds' themes. SMW's stage themes were extremely generic in comparison, with only Choco Mountain and Forest of Illusion being close to the same veign as the Pipe Maze or Giant Land. Even in the couple of SMB3's more generically themed world's, there were stages that stand out much better than any in World. Desert Land's pyramid stage, the Sky Tower, and Ice Land's "fly a koopa to the exit" stage all felt more creative than SMW.

The one thing I will defend SMW for over SMB3 is the world map. I love the true interconnectivity of it all. Only SML2 and NSMBU did it similiarly, and not nearly as well.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Honestly, a lot of them stand out in their own ways. But I really does come down to smb3 and smw.

For now, I'm saying smw. I like the mechanics of the game, how it feels, the progress of the world map, ECT.

I will say smb3 does have great variety though. World's really do feel different, and I like how you open up short cuts to make it easier when you get a game over.

I've just spent more time playing world than 3 really. If they come to Switch virtual console I'll need to replay them back to back to really see.

I'll give a shout out to new super Mario U though. I thought it had some great level design and the multiplayer was always fun. Same with finding all the secrets on the world map. I also spent a lot of time completing the separate challenge mode.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

SMW over SMB3 basically because of nostalgia. However I decided to vote for both.