Format Discussion for 2018 BGE

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Format Discussion for 2018 BGE

Post by Kong Wen »

Spore wrote: 06 Dec 2017 20:49 We do traditional ranking categories every year and it's really just playing hot-potato with some immortal classics with a couple brand new games thrown in that are still fresh in our minds. Why not just have every user suggest an off the wall poll idea and we nominate games for each of those. I think we could compile lists that are more fun than the top 10 games of all time that you can find almost identically on any website.
This sounds like a fun idea. I think we could/should do this too. We could have one user-poll and one franchise-poll running alongside each other per week.

IMO, part of the fun (all of the fun?) of our BGE event, even if we end up with a similar list of results (and we kind of should), is the participatory aspect. Allocating votes, especially when tough choices come up. That's why I like looking for new ways to organize that part of the contest, even if it doesn't change the face of the top 10 all that much.

The results would be more varied and more exciting with more people participating, of course.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Claytone wrote: 06 Dec 2017 21:41
Spore wrote: 06 Dec 2017 20:49 We do traditional ranking categories every year and it's really just playing hot-potato with some immortal classics with a couple brand new games thrown in that are still fresh in our minds. Why not just have every user suggest an off the wall poll idea and we nominate games for each of those. I think we could compile lists that are more fun than the top 10 games of all time that you can find almost identically on any website.
Big fan of this idea.
Ditto really like this idea.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 06 Dec 2017 21:49
This sounds like a fun idea. I think we could/should do this too. We could have one user-poll and one franchise-poll running alongside each other per week.

IMO, part of the fun (all of the fun?) of our BGE event, even if we end up with a similar list of results (and we kind of should), is the participatory aspect. Allocating votes, especially when tough choices come up. That's why I like looking for new ways to organize that part of the contest, even if it doesn't change the face of the top 10 all that much.

The results would be more varied and more exciting with more people participating, of course.
If we're doing that, one I've always wanted to see is Best Soundtracks! Idk if we've ever had a side-event for that (seems like we might have). But a full-fledged BGE style poll would be neat.
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I'd love to see best game from certain console. Eg. Best PS2 Game, Best SNES Game. etc etc.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Is this still going ahead?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 30 Mar 2018 22:53 Is this still going ahead?
Format discussion? Yes, it's still ongoing if people would like to chime in with ideas.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 31 Mar 2018 16:25
Format discussion? Yes, it's still ongoing if people would like to chime in with ideas.
I meant is the BGE still happening this year?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 31 Mar 2018 22:34
Kong Wen wrote: 31 Mar 2018 16:25
I meant is the BGE still happening this year?
Yes.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I think we can do the nominations as we have been, but the voting itself should be survey monkey polls so people can access them via twitter and Facebook. Just due to consideration of our community size on the forum I think it’d open it up a lot and be more likely to bring in fresh new perspectives than trying to make participants log in here. Just a thought
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Sharecrow wrote: 02 Jul 2018 17:44 I think we can do the nominations as we have been, but the voting itself should be survey monkey polls so people can access them via twitter and Facebook. Just due to consideration of our community size on the forum I think it’d open it up a lot and be more likely to bring in fresh new perspectives than trying to make participants log in here. Just a thought
I personally prefer the smaller forum size voting idk how many less members we have since last time so maybe we don’t have enough but I feel like Twitter/Facebook are more likely to try and cheat or just vote even if they don’t visit the site ever