Anime/Manga Thread

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Spore »

I was going to extol the art and writing in a manga I recently discovered called One Punch Man, but I see somebody in this thread is already well aware. It's consistently funny, and so far at least, the joke continues to work. A hearty recommendation from somebody who rarely reads manga.

Also, Jojo started again, so that's nice.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Starmancer »

Kanti3000 wrote:Hey guys!

You all pretty much know I'm a big anime dork. I'm into to almost every anime genre, and read a bunch of manga as well.

Favorite anime? There's a few, but my all time favorite is FLCL. It's short and sweet, and weird and perfect. The animation and music is amazing.

Close runner ups would be Cowboy Bebop, Bakemonogatari, Kill La Kill, and Welcome to NHK.

As for manga, I read quite a bit as well. I have a soft spot for stupid shonen, and I love One Piece, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Dragon Ball. My absolute favorite manga tends to be seinen though. Berserk, Oyasumi Pun Pun, and Akira are all favorites.

Top spot though goes to anything by Naoki Urasawa, and Monster in particular. I don't think I've read a better manga...it's good enough that I think KongWen would might even like it :D
I had to wait half a year for it, but I'm glad to see Kanti post in this thread! I didn't know you liked Bakemonogatari. You seen any of the otheres? I've been interested in the franchise, but it just seems to keep going on, it's a bit intimitating now (and this is coming from somebody who watches a ton of long-running series...). And I agree that Monster is fantastic, well worth a read.
Spore wrote:I was going to extol the art and writing in a manga I recently discovered called One Punch Man, but I see somebody in this thread is already well aware. It's consistently funny, and so far at least, the joke continues to work. A hearty recommendation from somebody who rarely reads manga.

Also, Jojo started again, so that's nice.
One Punch Man has been great. I only read the first two volumes, but that's... the most Manga that I've seen since I powered through Monster and Black Butler back in 2009. Very funny, aand a well-done parody with some downright gorgeous art.

Also, I haven't seen all of Stardust Crusaders S1 yet, but I'm loving JoJo so far. More of it is definitely welcome, especially since this seemed to be the part the creators were really rushing towards. :P
Bades wrote:Image

Anyone watch Knights of Sidonia? I was browsing the Netflix library when I came across it. None of my anime-savy friends could give me any information on it. I'm semi-interested by the "Netflix Original" label and the history of the show after researching it for myself. I might have my anime-savy friends over to watch it as it's rare for me to sit down to watch an anime series and I think I'd like to watch it with others who are more accustomed to the medium. Usually I only lock myself into feature-length anime, not sure why I've never really sat down to watch a full series. It sounds like it might be more "grounded" (haha) in tone Sci-Fi fare than most anime and some of the stills I've seen look interesting. Was just curious as to whether or not anyone here had watched it and what their thoughts were.

I was watching this a few months ago before I got distracted by Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (which, btw, is a new favorite series of mine). It seemed extremely good so far, if a bit...odd...at times. Now that I have Netflix, I should really try to get back to it.

As for what I'm currently watching: I've been powering through Log Horizon, a series about 100,000 players of an MMORPG getting trapped inside the game world, and how everyone reacts to the new events, how things have changed as the game becomes more real, and how the heck they got trapped in the first place. And I love it so far. I'm already on Season 2. The first season was amazing - the emphasis on world building and character development, as well as the rules of the game, was quite impressive for an anime series. I personally felt the series was at its best when it could make me feel like they were playing a very real game (and a fun one at that), as well as all the economics and group interaction associated with MMOs. The writer of the source Light Novel clearly did his research, and it was adapted quite well.

The second season hasn't been as good, but it's not bad, either. I could see this getting better. Even the first season didn't really grab until I got to episode 6, it's just that it didn't let me go once it had me. That said, I'm tempted to give this series a break for a while and try something else. I'm way behind on World Trigger and Gundam: Reconguista in G, for one, and I haven't even started some of the Winter series I was so excited for, like Rolling Girls and Yuri Kuma Arashi, nor some of the Fall shows like Rage of Bahumat: Genesis and Yona of the Dawn...actually, I have a huge backlog right now. Guess it won't hurt to take a little break and do some catching up...
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!