Anime/Manga Thread

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

No, not a movie and not Mega Zone 23. Must be The Sentinels, but Wikipedia has it listed as canceled. Youtube has some Sentinels videos, so it must be those.
Grt. Merlin

Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

Yeah, sounds like it. I forgot about that. They only did 3 episodes apparently.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

I don't watch too much anime (since I don't really have time), but after hearing RMC's interest/recommendations in/for Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill, I've checked out a bit of those.

Still can't believe about the intro of the former. It's ridiculous!
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Been watching Shugo chara.
In fact I only discovered crunchyroll itself earlier this year so I got a lot on my queue to watch.

As for manga I plan on getting the complete Watamote.
I differently loved the Anime on Crunchyroll & I also shall be getting the series on Blu-Ray itself.

"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
Bades
Initiate

Post by Bades »

Anyone watch Knights of Sidonia? I was browsing the Netflix library when I came across it. None of my anime-savy friends could give me any information on it. I'm semi-interested by the "Netflix Original" label and the history of the show after researching it for myself. I might have my anime-savy friends over to watch it as it's rare for me to sit down to watch an anime series and I think I'd like to watch it with others who are more accustomed to the medium. Usually I only lock myself into feature-length anime, not sure why I've never really sat down to watch a full series. It sounds like it might be more "grounded" (haha) in tone Sci-Fi fare than most anime and some of the stills I've seen look interesting. Was just curious as to whether or not anyone here had watched it and what their thoughts were.

Kanti3000
Initiate

Post by Kanti3000 »

Hey guys!

You all pretty much know I'm a big anime dork. I'm into to almost every anime genre, and read a bunch of manga as well.

Favorite anime? There's a few, but my all time favorite is FLCL. It's short and sweet, and weird and perfect. The animation and music is amazing.

Close runner ups would be Cowboy Bebop, Bakemonogatari, Kill La Kill, and Welcome to NHK.

As for manga, I read quite a bit as well. I have a soft spot for stupid shonen, and I love One Piece, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Dragon Ball. My absolute favorite manga tends to be seinen though. Berserk, Oyasumi Pun Pun, and Akira are all favorites.

Top spot though goes to anything by Naoki Urasawa, and Monster in particular. I don't think I've read a better manga...it's good enough that I think KongWen would might even like it :D
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kanti3000 wrote:Hey guys!

You all pretty much know I'm a big anime dork. I'm into to almost every anime genre, and read a bunch of manga as well.

Favorite anime? There's a few, but my all time favorite is FLCL. It's short and sweet, and weird and perfect. The animation and music is amazing.

Close runner ups would be Cowboy Bebop, Bakemonogatari, Kill La Kill, and Welcome to NHK.

As for manga, I read quite a bit as well. I have a soft spot for stupid shonen, and I love One Piece, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Dragon Ball. My absolute favorite manga tends to be seinen though. Berserk, Oyasumi Pun Pun, and Akira are all favorites.

Top spot though goes to anything by Naoki Urasawa, and Monster in particular. I don't think I've read a better manga...it's good enough that I think KongWen would might even like it :D
I've heard great things about Cowboy Bebop since it was first released, but I never even gave it a try because I hate anime. Maybe I should download a few episodes and see what I think.

I also did dip my toes into FLCL briefly as I think you'll recall and I thought it was OK but I didn't "get" it, which is probably not that uncommon with that anime... ;)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

Do any of you anime lovers know if there is anything worth seeing from the last couple of years?

I'm not much of an anime-watcher, even though I've seen my fair share of it in my teens. Every year I get this urge to check out if I've been missing any important piece of anime, mostly, I watch a few series but get fairly disappointed.

My favorite anime is Welcome to the NHK, and I don't really like the cutesy anime girl genre.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Only anime I've added to my small collection last year is Appleseed Alpha. Should be a kind of prequel to Appleseed, but rewatching all three Appleseeds it has some inconsistencies. Still liked it though.
Grt. Merlin

Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

And what I ended up watching was Space Dandy, it's delightful. Now I just have to somehow acquire a 1080p copy, because I have a feeling that the low res version I found didn't do the show justice..

Funny jokes, charming characters, awesome space fantasy visuals and a top notch soundtrack. What isn't there to like?