Mega Man 11

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Mega Man 11

Post by Kong Wen »

MM11 was just announced on Capcom's Mega Man 30th anniversary stream. It's got a brand new candy-gloss plastic 2.5D art style, and it's coming to PS4, XBOX, Switch, and PC in late 2018. This is the first new art style in the mainline MM series since the SNES days.

I'll be interested in seeing if they're going to go for a full retail experience in the modern age, or if they're planning to make it a smaller downloadable title like MM9 and MM10. The difference is those games were throwbacks to the NES experience, whereas this one has to stand on its own as a new entity. I'd actually love to see them try to cook up a $60 mainline Mega Man title worthy of the price tag.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Mega Man 11

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 04 Dec 2017 20:25 MM11 was just announced on Capcom's Mega Man 30th anniversary stream. It's got a brand new candy-gloss plastic 2.5D art style, and it's coming to PS4, XBOX, Switch, and PC in late 2018. This is the first new art style in the mainline MM series since the SNES days.

I'll be interested in seeing if they're going to go for a full retail experience in the modern age, or if they're planning to make it a smaller downloadable title like MM9 and MM10. The difference is those games were throwbacks to the NES experience, whereas this one has to stand on its own as a new entity. I'd actually love to see them try to cook up a $60 mainline Mega Man title worthy of the price tag.
I feel like we're in an age where it's okay to release a $20 retail package for a title like this. Assuming it's the standard mega man length.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 04 Dec 2017 20:32
Kong Wen wrote: 04 Dec 2017 20:25 MM11 was just announced on Capcom's Mega Man 30th anniversary stream. It's got a brand new candy-gloss plastic 2.5D art style, and it's coming to PS4, XBOX, Switch, and PC in late 2018. This is the first new art style in the mainline MM series since the SNES days.

I feel like we're in an age where it's okay to release a $20 retail package for a title like this. Assuming it's the standard mega man length.
Of course it's OK, and it's the expected approach. What I'm saying is it would be neat if they didn't do that. It's the first non-retro-throwback entry in the main series since what, 1996? It would be cool if they made it a full modern game.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Would certainly be interesting if they made the game a full $60 experience! To me, it looks like standard mega man, especially since they are calling it mega man 11. If they were to make a game that offers enough content to be a $60 game, I'd honestly expect a different title like they've done for other mega man games.

At the very least, I'm not expecting 30 robot masters.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 04 Dec 2017 20:41 Would certainly be interesting if they made the game a full $60 experience! To me, it looks like standard mega man, especially since they are calling it mega man 11. If they were to make a game that offers enough content to be a $60 game, I'd honestly expect a different title like they've done for other mega man games.

At the very least, I'm not expecting 30 robot masters.
Mega Man 2 and 3 cost $80. Same with 7 and 8. The anomalies were 9 and 10, which were developed specifically as small-scale throwbacks. They're the only ones that were released for cheapo DLC prices.
RamenJunkie
Initiate

Post by RamenJunkie »

Oh man, I never thought that this might be some $60+ mainline release. I'm not sure that would work with a game like Mega Man. $20 or so probably would be OK. Sonic Mania was $20, and it kind of feels like a good comparison.
--
Ramen Junkie

http://www.lameazoid.com
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

RamenJunkie wrote: 04 Dec 2017 21:04 Oh man, I never thought that this might be some $60+ mainline release. I'm not sure that would work with a game like Mega Man. $20 or so probably would be OK.
Yeah I'm not sure it would work either, and I doubt it's what they're going for, but it would be neat. Massive open world, complex upgrade system, etc. ;)

RamenJunkie
Initiate

Post by RamenJunkie »

Thanks for that picture, I was wondering if it was available when it was on the live stream.
--
Ramen Junkie

http://www.lameazoid.com
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote: 04 Dec 2017 20:25I'll be interested in seeing if they're going to go for a full retail experience in the modern age, or if they're planning to make it a smaller downloadable title like MM9 and MM10. The difference is those games were throwbacks to the NES experience, whereas this one has to stand on its own as a new entity. I'd actually love to see them try to cook up a $60 mainline Mega Man title worthy of the price tag.
Yeah that’s what I’m wondering. Hopefully it also comes to retail stores as physical versions, not just digital. I have this on my radar, as well as the Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 + 2.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 04 Dec 2017 21:09
RamenJunkie wrote: 04 Dec 2017 21:04 Oh man, I never thought that this might be some $60+ mainline release. I'm not sure that would work with a game like Mega Man. $20 or so probably would be OK.
Yeah I'm not sure it would work either, and I doubt it's what they're going for, but it would be neat. Massive open world, complex upgrade system, etc. ;)

Yeah for that type of expansion I'd expect a new mega man series, not a numbered title. Like how the Mega Man X series is different from the classic series.