Non-Gaming Resolutions for 2018

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Non-Gaming Resolutions for 2018

Post by Kong Wen »

What are your plans for 2018?

I don't necessarily mean in the typical "New Year's Resolutions!" sense, although those are welcome here too.

But more generally, what do you hope to accomplish or change in the coming year? Something financial? Travel? Learn a new skill? Something related to your work? Your art?

Big goals? Small goals? Secret goals (if so, you can just mention them here without saying what they are)?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
This Old Neon
Administrator

Re: Non-Gaming Resolutions for 2018

Post by This Old Neon »

Publish 12 articles in 2018. This is an average of one per month; although not every month needs to see a published article, that would be nice too.

1. Destiny 2: Room to Improve All Over Again
2. Super Meat Boy
3. 8bitdo SN30 & SF30 Pro
4. Night in the Woods
5. Designer Diary: War Chest
6. Robots Don't Rest
7. Donut County
8. The Messenger
9. Pizza Titan Ultra
10. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
11. Neon Notables: Surviving Mars
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

My main goal is to get a good draft of my book typed up. I think I can do it and have been writing more lately but that’s something I definitely would like to accomplish this year.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I have reading goals. I'd like to read 25 books before the end of the year, which is exactly what I managed in 2017 (although they were all long ones). It should be possible.

I also have vague fitness goals, but nothing too regimented, because I find that tends to discourage rather than encourage. My diet is already pretty good, but I'm being a bit more careful about serving sizes. I'm also just keeping track of everything better because I like data.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

A couple things.

First, I want to finish a nonfiction book or two. Preferably about American History.

Second, I just signed up for 3 months of membership at Georgia Tech's rec center (it was built for the Olympics, so it is really the best gym I could sign up for). My goal is to a) see appreciable "gains" from that time b) still be actively working out and getting my money's worth by that time so that I renew. I think this should be an easy resolution.

May add a couple more later.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote: 09 Jan 2018 15:28 I have reading goals. I'd like to read 25 books before the end of the year, which is exactly what I managed in 2017 (although they were all long ones). It should be possible.

I also have vague fitness goals, but nothing too regimented, because I find that tends to discourage rather than encourage. My diet is already pretty good, but I'm being a bit more careful about serving sizes. I'm also just keeping track of everything better because I like data.
I'll check in on these at the end of the month, but I also wanted to hammer out my goals a little bit more specifically. In addition to reading 25 books overall, I plan to finish at least one book, one film, and one video game per calendar month (not on average). This is to police my pace.

I also recently launched a podcast (Plot Threads), and I'd like to commit to releasing one per month at the very least.

Fitness goal is still in place, but I'm not sure how well I'm doing on that one.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I am a golden god. I resolve to spend more time in the sun this year.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Pretty safe to say my resolution is to graduate from university this year, would be pretty bummed if I didn't! :lol:

I'm also hoping to remain consistent with my exercise and healthy eating. From January until about June last year I lost 45 pounds. Since then I've remained at that weight and I'm hoping to continue with it.

I also had a resolution to make the most of my university insurance before it's up and I've been doing good - got an eye exam and dental check up done, and I'm scheduled to have my wisdom teeth removed mid February. Last thing I would do is get myself a new pair of glasses.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 29 Jan 2018 19:28 I'm also hoping to remain consistent with my exercise and healthy eating. From January until about June last year I lost 45 pounds. Since then I've remained at that weight and I'm hoping to continue with it.
Good stuff Shoe! Sounds like the healthy habits are pretty well entrenched by now.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote: 09 Jan 2018 15:28 I have reading goals. I'd like to read 25 books before the end of the year, which is exactly what I managed in 2017 (although they were all long ones). It should be possible.

I've really stalled out of my reading over the past month or so, mainly because I've been focusing on other work, but I do plan to get back into it as soon as things are back in order. I've only read 8/25 books on the year so far. It should still be possible, but I've really got to get back on the horse.

As far as my second goal goes, I've lost about 15 lbs since January and brought my body fat back under 20%. Relatively easy sailing so far, but making much more progress from here will be tougher.