Playstation Vita

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Playstation Vita

Post by SkyPikachu »

I thought I'd make a topic considering I'll be getting a Vita this week.

I was so surprised that 3rd party support still existed and that the library is way bigger than I thought. Bigger than the 3ds according to wiki. 3DS 1236 and Vita 1502

I will be using it mainly to play PS+ games plus but I also wanted to try out Persona 4 and Tearaway. Plus an indie game from a dev team across the ditch called Reverie.

I also think I'll play a few "PS3" games more considering my PS3 is in the family living area now where our cable tv is. Games like Sukodin. Plus having a ton of PSOne and PSP games sounds really nice.

How many people still own a vita and do you still play yours and what are your favorite games?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Playstation Vita

Post by Kong Wen »

Vita's a dynamite little system. I still have my original/launch model with the better OLED screen.

Many of the games that were successful on Vita have been ported elsewhere by now.

Muramasa Rebirth is a good Vanillaware game, the definitive version of a game that was previously stuck on Wii.
Persona 4 is a no-brainer.
If you don't have it on another system, Pinball Arcade is sweet.
I put a lot of time into Rogue Legacy, and Cellar Door has another game coming out this week. Nice time to revisit that for nostalgia.
Severed is of course a masterpiece, but like I said, it's been ported to phones, 3DS, Switch etc. by now.
Soul Sacrifice was a Marvelous action game and I don't think it's actually been ported anywhere else yet.

There are a bunch of action RPGs and dungeon-crawlers from Japanese developers on the system.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

The Vita has a pretty great library if you include everything you have access too. Mine is an FFX machine right now but some other entries of note include:
Excellent ports of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 and 2
Two God of War PSP games
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
A pretty robust Genesis Collection game from PSP
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Tales of the Hearts R
And the already mentioned Persona 4 and Tearaway

Enjoy the system once you get it!
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Muramasa is definitely a worthy grab, but hold out for sales. I got the complete bundle with the (very worthwhile) DLC packs included for $10 CAD. One or all go on sale fairly frequently. Do bear in mind it is highly dependent on replays for maximum value, and your enjoyment of that will depend solely on how much you enjoy the combat system (I adore it and mastered the game).

Other games I recommend won't all be Vita exclusive, but I'm including them because I find myself playing them portably rather than on the big screen.

- TxK (Vita exclusive)
- Spelunky
- Dragon's Crown
- Rogue Legacy
- Son of Scoregasm (recent buy, Vita "exclusive" (Vita and PC))
- Axiom Verge (still free??)
- Retro City Rampage
- Hotline Miami (you may hate the sticks on this format but I was able to platinum the game using Vita exclusively)
- Frozen Synapse ($2 right now assuming it's in the holiday sale in Australia too)

Lots, lots more. Just a taste right there.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I picked up a Vita a few weeks ago. It's a lovely system but I'm a little frustrated with PSN. I created an account in my current country of residence and from what I had read I expected it would be an EU account (similar to the 3DS). I immediately noticed that half the PSONE classics available on the UK store were missing. Furthermore I couldn't find any consistency in the different representations of the store on the VIta itself, on the web and using the PSN app. I've found multiple links online with completely different available downloads. For example one link is missing the Resident Evil games, wheras another has those games but is missing the Suikoden games. None of them are comparable to the quantity of the UK list, sadly and are nowhere near what seems to be avaiable in NA. I can accept that EU/NA stores might be different but I'm a bit perplexed as to why content differs so drastically between different countries. Is it licensing or just a failure to properly maintain some of these stores? Curious if anyone has any ideas.

That aside, I'm really enjoying the physical games and what I have been able to download. The dpad is exceptional. Possibly the best I've ever used on a handheld.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote: 04 May 2019 16:36 I picked up a Vita a few weeks ago. It's a lovely system but I'm a little frustrated with PSN. I created an account in my current country of residence and from what I had read I expected it would be an EU account (similar to the 3DS). I immediately noticed that half the PSONE classics available on the UK store were missing. Furthermore I couldn't find any consistency in the different representations of the store on the VIta itself, on the web and using the PSN app. I've found multiple links online with completely different available downloads. For example one link is missing the Resident Evil games, wheras another has those games but is missing the Suikoden games. None of them are comparable to the quantity of the UK list, sadly and are nowhere near what seems to be avaiable in NA. I can accept that EU/NA stores might be different but I'm a bit perplexed as to why content differs so drastically between different countries. Is it licensing or just a failure to properly maintain some of these stores? Curious if anyone has any ideas.

That aside, I'm really enjoying the physical games and what I have been able to download. The dpad is exceptional. Possibly the best I've ever used on a handheld.
Slim or Phat model?
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Slurmee wrote: 04 May 2019 18:17
A Beta Fu7ure wrote: 04 May 2019 16:36 I picked up a Vita a few weeks ago. It's a lovely system but I'm a little frustrated with PSN. I created an account in my current country of residence and from what I had read I expected it would be an EU account (similar to the 3DS). I immediately noticed that half the PSONE classics available on the UK store were missing. Furthermore I couldn't find any consistency in the different representations of the store on the VIta itself, on the web and using the PSN app. I've found multiple links online with completely different available downloads. For example one link is missing the Resident Evil games, wheras another has those games but is missing the Suikoden games. None of them are comparable to the quantity of the UK list, sadly and are nowhere near what seems to be avaiable in NA. I can accept that EU/NA stores might be different but I'm a bit perplexed as to why content differs so drastically between different countries. Is it licensing or just a failure to properly maintain some of these stores? Curious if anyone has any ideas.

Slim or Phat model?
I'm not that well versed Slurmee but I think its the slim, the one with the cheaper screen - although it still looks great to me since the Vita is probably the most powerful system I own.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I wouldn't be against picking up a Vita sometime, if only for PS4 off-TV play.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote: 04 May 2019 19:54
Slurmee wrote: 04 May 2019 18:17

Slim or Phat model?
I'm not that well versed Slurmee but I think its the slim, the one with the cheaper screen - although it still looks great to me since the Vita is probably the most powerful system I own.
It's the the model with the better battery and looks way nicer. The start select buttons are circles on the slim and ovals on the phat.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

The Shoemaker wrote: 04 May 2019 21:58 I wouldn't be against picking up a Vita sometime, if only for PS4 off-TV play.
I'll have to get on the PS4 train later this year when Shenmue 3 comes out. Although, annoyingly, I'll probably have to set up an alternate PSN account as I don't want to be locked to the Romanian store like I am on the Vita. I think PS4 lets you have more than one account registered though so off-TV play should still be possible for me, hopefully.