Winter Olympics 2018

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Winter Olympics 2018

Post by SkyPikachu »

Who plans on watching the Olympics? Australia seems to have a few medal chances which is cool plus I always love watching the snowboard racing and ski racing. (Not sure if the actual name) I honestly prefer it over the Summer Games.

Also perfect time zone for me only 2 hours difference.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Re: Winter Olympics 2018

Post by Kreegs »

I will be watching! Winter Olympics are my absolute favorite. My mom was Lindsey Vonn’s first grade teacher so we like cheering for her. But I seriously love every event!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Don't know how much I can see, but I'll try watching speed-skating and maybe short-track.
Grt. Merlin

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Anyone see the Canadian girl throw the wrong color stone in curling a few days ago? Best thing is it’s not even against the rules. They just replaced it with the correct one.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kreegs wrote: 13 Feb 2018 19:55 Anyone see the Canadian girl throw the wrong color stone in curling a few days ago? Best thing is it’s not even against the rules. They just replaced it with the correct one.
Haven't seen it. But curling is only shown here when there's nothing else to show. The dutch are doing great so far, 10 medals on skating. Haven't seen a lot of live footage yet because of the 8 hour timezone difference. Can't watch while I'm at work and when I get home it's alread midnight in Korea.
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

5 golds on speedskating 🙂 Go TeamNL!
Grt. Merlin

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: 14 Feb 2018 16:20 5 golds on speedskating 🙂 Go TeamNL!
It seems like all you guys do there is speed skate and all we do is snowboard!
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kreegs wrote: 15 Feb 2018 01:34
MerlinDrazziw wrote: 14 Feb 2018 16:20 5 golds on speedskating 🙂 Go TeamNL!
It seems like all you guys do there is speed skate and all we do is snowboard!
The Netherlands pretty much took all the metals in terms of speed-skating in Sochi. Couldn’t believe how many they won there... (or at least nearly all their medals in Sochi were from that sport).
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Australian coverage has been so bad I decided to boycott the olympics as I do not agree with how the new channel that got rights to it this year is handling things
  1. Only 1 channel is showing the olympics (none of their sister channels have stuff on)
  2. Between 5pm and 9pm it's in SD on the sister channel while the main channel shows game shows, news and reality tv.
  3. They repeated the Opening Ceremony 3 times on Saturday while their were live events on
  4. They keep showing repeat of Australian events instead of showing live stuff.
  5. When they're not showing repeats they're showing pre recorded interviews with players or just discussing the olympics with analysts
  6. They have an online section that shows every sport live it's in SD unless you pay $15 and I've heard that the quality is terrible lots of people getting errors
  7. The online section can't be streamed to a TV via chromecast, apple tv etc etc
  8. I've turned the tv on about 20 times and have seen live events twice.
Compared to 2014 where we had 2 channels the whole time and constant sport the whole time this is just terrible and the fact they're showing dumb reality tv shows or silly game shows over the olympics is just astounding the whole of Australia is pissed with them.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Doesn't sound like a good system Slurm. I think in the states some people have been dissatisfied with the coverage as well? Not as bad as Australia, but just an over emphasis on American stuff when people want to just see a constant live feed.

Winter Olympics are my favorite, but I haven't really had the opportunity to watch. I've just been getting decent highlights on Reddit.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons