What are You Listening to Right Now?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: What are You Listening to Right Now?

Post by VictorViper »

Sharecrow wrote: 01 Jan 2019 01:38 Okay now this is getting interesting. I'm nominating an EP for my last best "album" of 2018. Since it is roughly half an album weighing in at 18 minutes, it's kind of like I have 4.5 albums as best of 2018. Anyway, that is pedantic and silly - on to the good stuff. On to the music.

Let me first say that more bands should do collaborative works like this. This album combines the punk rock intensity of Iron Reagan with the relentless death metal music of Gatecreeper - one of the best new death metal bands out there right now. Seriously, they are good. They only have three tracks on this EP, but their name is what brought me to buy this. I have tremendous respect for them and love their music. Iron Reagan has eight tracks on this EP, but they are punk-length so they go quick. One of them weighs in at 43 seconds or something like that I think. The styles of the music are very different but they go together quite well. The EP is a cohesive work. Turn this one up, too. It's incredible.
I grabbed this earlier this year on your recommendation and ended up listening through Gatecreeper's 2016 release a few times, too. I don't have the experience with (or taste for) Death like you, but these guys definitely have an energy about them that can be hard to come by. Put it this way - the fact they got more than a cursory listen says everything and this is another band for me to watch out for live, definitely. Just like Pig Destroyer though (another band I like in a genre I largely avoid), there's a hard limit for me before the vocals start to fatigue. Though to his credit, he does have a good presentation, no rote growls here at all and tons of inflection and style.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I can post two albums from 2017 to which I dedicated a LOT of airtime.

Notes:
  • There are a couple other albums I listened to that were just fine, but I'm not going to include them here just to fill up space.
  • My main man Sir Raymond Douglas Davies also released a new album in 2017, but I'm pointedly not including it because it's simply not good—a brutal tumble from the heights of his previous solo effort.
  • Macca put out an album near the end of 2018 and I haven't given it a serious listen. Some of his old man solo albums have had great moments ("Mr. Bellamy" and the whole of Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (which is like 13 years old by now, Jesus Christ!)) but I have to be in a specific mood for McCartney these days. Maybe it'll make it onto my 2019 list.
The Goods:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland (17 November, 2017)

-------------------------

Roger Waters - is this the life we really want? (2 June, 2017)

[It's tough to get a good YouTube version of this, but if you have Google Play or an actual YouTube Music subscription, or Spotify, you should be able to find it pretty easily.]

-------------------------

If we really want to stretch back to 2016, I'd include Tame Impala's Currents, which features the dynamic single "Let It Happen" but otherwise is sadly nowhere near as good as their previous studio album Lonerism.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Top 2018: Dominique Fils-Aimé - Nameless

Post by VictorViper »

Starting my 2018 picks with an EP I came across thanks to a couple of guest appearances on Mouse on the Keys' 2018 release (which didn't make my list). Dominique Fils-Aimé is based out of Montréal, and her debut is sublime. Her voice speaks for itself, but this is a mature effort from a young artist who knows the power of restraint. The resulting album is spacious, luscious and sometimes haunting. Below is her official video for the title track, Nameless. She has a new album due in late February and I can't wait.

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Top 2018: Noname - Room 25

Post by VictorViper »

This one's a snap addition to my list, only coming across it a few days ago on Neuzd's recommendation. But it absolutely belongs here (not just doing a "clever" title tie-in). 2018 saw a new Dr. Octagon release, for Pete's sake, and I would never consider putting it up ahead of this magnificent sophomore release. This is real Hip-Hop, borne of old school sensibilities, and this woman's voice shines through loud and clear. My interest in Rap has waned in recent years, but this album has made me HUNGRY. Fresh, fresh beats with a cohesive vibe - if this wasn't so new to me I'd be better informed as to the production work, and looking into their other work. I'll admit it's hard for me to place a Rap album on my best-selling list, having listened to so little this year, but in my opinion this ranks among the best Rap albums of the last 20 years. I feel confident.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I haven't listened to a single second of any of her other material, but I stumbled on this short tune from Dodie Clark thanks to Reddit this morning and I think it's quite nice. It's soft-pop, but there's also a slight hint of British folk melody in there, which might be what stuck out to me.

Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Sharecrow wrote: 24 Dec 2018 03:46 Okay, album number 2 of I think 5 is going to be a death metal album. Sorry guys but this is Sharecrow here. Try to keep an open mind. The album is brief.

I nominate Tribulation's "Down Below." This is a band that is relatively new to me. I came across them listening to Sirius XM and they really grew on me. There's a couple of things that make this band stand out from other death metal bands. First: the vocals. Although it has growling much like most death metal bands do, the voicing is unique. He's talking really rather than shouting. Most bands are venting at the top of their lungs but this one has more of a quiet certainty that still resonates with the strength and energy death metal is known for. Secondly, they aren't afraid to be melodious. Most death metal bands center themselves on intense drumming and chugging, relentless guitar riffs. Although those elements are here as well, the riffs have more of a classic thrash flair to them at times. And they're not afraid to slow it down, which gives their music a breadth and variety that is refreshing. Turn this one up.

I'm posting the full album this time and the cover art is included as well.

I have a download code for this album - doesn’t work on mobile devices though. Just PCs and, I presume, Macs. PM me your email address if you want it.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I haven't finished my 2018 list yet but I'll sideline it to showcase this behemoth. These guys are among my 2017 picks and a new one is a comin'.

[EDIT] Needs to be said this is the "poppiest" I've ever heard them, but this thing is four and a half minutes for a reason, So if you're gonna listen, don't dismiss it half way. Heaviest band on earth, IMO.

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Finally got my limited edition boxset of Ayreon Into the Electric Castle 20th anniversary remix last wednesday. Too bad I don't have a good sound system available, I listened to the mp3 version of the album and it sounds great. Going to listen to it again in a few moments.
Oh .. about the boxset, the 3D version of the painting/album cover looks good as do the gold marble vinyl records :)
Attachments
limited edition boxset
limited edition boxset
E519925B-D2DD-422F-A973-84CAA9362418.jpeg (275.35 KiB) Viewed 11143 times
Grt. Merlin

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: 02 Feb 2019 10:06 Finally got my limited edition boxset of Ayreon Into the Electric Castle 20th anniversary remix last wednesday. Too bad I don't have a good sound system available, I listened to the mp3 version of the album and it sounds great. Going to listen to it again in a few moments.
Oh .. about the boxset, the 3D version of the painting/album cover looks good as do the gold marble vinyl records :)
Now THAT is a collector's item. Wow. Keep that pristine, my friend. That's a very special package, I haven't seen something that nice since The Band's box set and it looks like chopped liver next to that.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I lied about the hard limit on 2017 music I'd post in here. :) I was putting together my summer mix for the new car over the weekend and I remembered these guys. Solid summer psych-prog.

Once and Future Band - Once & Future Band (January, 2017)

That's a Band Camp link so I didn't bother to look for an embed or a YouTube vid. Maybe I should do that.