What are You Listening to Right Now?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: What are You Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: 05 Mar 2022 18:15 Regularly I'm listening to a playlist on yt where I collected some asian bands. This is a mix of mostly Wagakki Band, Baby Metal, The HU and Ningen Isu.

Ningen Isu is the latest addition to my eastern playlist, they would often show up in the right and at first I thought what is it with these old guys. After listening to multiple of their songs (spans over 30 years of music) I started to like them.
Awesome, I like this, thanks for sharing!

Also, LOL, that bass player is going so hard.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kong Wen wrote: 06 Mar 2022 19:14 Awesome, I like this, thanks for sharing!

Also, LOL, that bass player is going so hard.
Yeah, that bass player always was like that ...

Here's a video from their early years:

and a little later:
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Still listening to Ningen Isu regularly, here's another vid:

While searching and listening to Ningen Isu on Youtube at some point I saw a Kiss like japanese band. After ignoring them for a time I became curious about them and listened to some songs .. it was quite good. Seems this band also had a story behind them and even an anime series and video game (Famicon/MSX). Band is Seikima II with lead singer Demon Kogure/Kakka (good voice).

I prefer Ningen Isu over Seikima II, but because of their story I thought to mention them here.
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just watching/listening to Demon Kakka covering a King Crimson song:

Next to this one, he did 2 other covers.
Makes me interested in King Crimson .. will check them out someday.
Grt. Merlin

Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I thought I’d note a few notable 2022 albums to me here (in no particular order):

Stabbing Westward’s “Chasing Ghosts” - a band I loved back in the day and still listen to actually released their first full length album in over twenty years. It’s amazing and polished. I’m always tickled when my iTunes randomly drops a track from this album. It’s a treat.

Megadeth’s “The Sick, the Dying…and the Dead!” is also a pretty good outing for Megadeth. I enjoyed it much more than their past couple of albums. It gets spun on my record player regularly (indeed, I’m putting it on now). It’s more Megadeth, but that’s not a bad thing at all.

Five Finger Death Punch’s “AfterLife” is also a solid entry for the band. Their albums vacillate between very good to okay with a couple of great ones sprinkled in. This one is very good.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Thought I’d drop some sample songs from each, too.

Stabbing Westward:

Megadeth:

FFDP:
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Stabbing Westward sounds interesting, will look them up on youtube sometime.

As for King Crimson .. their first album was great. Got 2 other albums that were given higher praise but I didn't like them as much as the first one.

And for the japanese music .. I've listened to a few of Damian Hamada's Creatures songs (fairly new band) and liked them. Damian Hamada is kind of a rock legend in Japan and one of the founders of Seikima II. He's producing DHC and appears in their videos, but he's not playing with the band.
Grt. Merlin

Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: 30 Dec 2022 17:05 As for King Crimson .. their first album was great. Got 2 other albums that were given higher praise but I didn't like them as much as the first one.
There’s a lot of variety in their catalog. Which other two did you check out?

Poseidon and Lizard are most similar to their first album.

Red, Starless and Bible Black, and Larks’ Tongues in Aspic (the three with John Wetton on bass and vocals) are really good too. The Adrian Belew stuff has to grow on you…
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Sharecrow wrote: 30 Dec 2022 17:19 There’s a lot of variety in their catalog. Which other two did you check out?

Red, Starless and Bible Black, and Larks’ Tongues in Aspic (the three with John Wetton on bass and vocals) are really good too. The Adrian Belew stuff has to grow on you…
Red and Larks. Will check the two you mentioned as similar.
Grt. Merlin

Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: 30 Dec 2022 20:06
Sharecrow wrote: 30 Dec 2022 17:19 There’s a lot of variety in their catalog. Which other two did you check out?

Red and Larks. Will check the two you mentioned as similar.
If you ever want to try a King Crimson lineup with Belew in it give Thrak a try. It’s the best album he appeared on with them. Two drummers, two guitarists, and two bassists. One party :)