SCUF's officially licensed "pro" controller

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

SCUF's officially licensed "pro" controller

Post by Kong Wen »

SCUF is making an officially licensed pro-style controller for PS4, coming this summer. A wired version for instant response time is $170 USD, and one that comes with Bluetooth wireless as an option is $200 USD.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/05 ... r-for-ps4/

My main problem with this is the staggered stick configuration. SCUF makes great reconfigurable controllers, and some of their other models let you swap the d-pad and sticks around. It's weird that they wouldn't let you do that with this version.

The only other problem is that SCUF doesn't have the best reputation for durability/longevity. That might be a correlative issue where they're mostly used by serious/pro/elite gamers who put their controllers through much more abuse than the average video game enjoyer, but it might also be a build quality thing.

Personally, I would have loved something like this with swappable stick positions back when I was playing Destiny, but it's pretty much overkill for any of the games I play now. Hair triggers, trigger stops, trigger extenders, extra buttons, mappable paddles, choice of tall/short and concave/convex sticks, etc. are all really nice options.

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: SCUF's officially licensed "pro" controller

Post by SkyPikachu »

A controller that costs more/close to the same price as current gen console no thanks.

My Xbox One S cost $227 USD with 3 months live, 1 month game pass + 4 games.

Looking at PS4 prices they're $299 USD for the regular and $399 USD for the pro new at gamestop. (Which always seem to be overpriced or not a great deal)

The concept of the controllers is really cool but oof at that price makes it a plan a simple no for me.

They're 33% more expensive than Xbox One Elite Controllers. I understand that sony are dominating the market right now but still seems a high ask.

Also nothing about battery life I hope it's a lot better than the dualshock 4.

Nonetheless I always found the 360 design better so this is cool high premium feature.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The price is largely because they're SCUF brand. Not that that justifies it, but there it is.

Many of these features are things that should be standard on a modern controller by now, but I guess it's win-win if the first-party hardware manufacturers can cut costs by continuing to produce bare-bones controllers while leaving the high-end market to third-parties who pander to the elite. Don't get me wrong, the DualShock 4 and Xbone controller are the best mainline controllers we've ever had, but that doesn't mean they couldn't take it to the next level with their next iterations.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 23 May 2018 01:22 The price is largely because they're SCUF brand. Not that that justifies it, but there it is.

Many of these features are things that should be standard on a modern controller by now, but I guess it's win-win if the first-party hardware manufacturers can cut costs by continuing to produce bare-bones controllers while leaving the high-end market to third-parties who pander to the elite. Don't get me wrong, the DualShock 4 and Xbone controller are the best mainline controllers we've ever had, but that doesn't mean they couldn't take it to the next level with their next iterations.
The idea of base controllers adding even more features makes me squeamish, controllers are already quite experience and will only be more expensive next gen with inflation.

Though I suppose I don't play any local multiplayer on ps4, so it expensive controllers probably wouldn't affect me much.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 23 May 2018 06:16
Kong Wen wrote: 23 May 2018 01:22 The price is largely because they're SCUF brand. Not that that justifies it, but there it is.

The idea of base controllers adding even more features makes me squeamish, controllers are already quite experience and will only be more expensive next gen with inflation.

Though I suppose I don't play any local multiplayer on ps4, so it expensive controllers probably wouldn't affect me much.
My point is they should be standard, not extra/premium. A base/bundled controller should have swappable sticks (pay extra for whatever stick you want, sure), trigger stops (pay extra for extended triggers, sure), be paddle-compatible, etc. Those compatibilities alone shouldn't jack the price through the roof. We can save the really mechanical stuff like removable motors for the premium controllers. Baby steps.