Pier Solar

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Pier Solar

Post by The Shoemaker »

So, is this a brand new game or a HD release? And what makes it so different from other RPG's out there, the fact that it has such a massive world?

And Xbox 360 has rules against self publishing or something like that doesn't it?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:So, is this a brand new game or a HD release? And what makes it so different from other RPG's out there, the fact that it has such a massive world?

And Xbox 360 has rules against self publishing or something like that doesn't it?
It's an HD release of the original Pier Solar, which was released in 2010 for Sega Genesis. It's different from other RPGs out there because it was developed 15 years after the death of the console it was released on. In other words, it's not technically a retro-style RPG... it's an actual retro RPG developed on Genesis architecture.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:So, is this a brand new game or a HD release? And what makes it so different from other RPG's out there, the fact that it has such a massive world?

It's an HD release of the original Pier Solar, which was released in 2010 for Sega Genesis. It's different from other RPGs out there because it was developed 15 years after the death of the console it was released on. In other words, it's not technically a retro-style RPG... it's an actual retro RPG developed on Genesis architecture.
It definitely sounds cool. Has anyone played the 2010 original?
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote:And Xbox 360 has rules against self publishing or something like that doesn't it?
Yeah, I believe so; but I thought it was Microsoft-wide, rather than just the XB360...
I haven't, but am looking forward to Pier Solar in the future.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Sharecrow wrote:My patience is finite (especially for a game that didn't merit much excitement to begin with). It's main appeal is that it's a new old-school RPG, but there are others and likely better ones I can play instead. They should have given me access while I was still excited about it - would have been an easy, day-one, full-retail-price sale. Now I'm on the fence and not sure if I'll get it at all.
I thought it's main appeal was that it was a new Mega Drive/Genesis game that came on a cart and in an official looking box and could be played on original hardware.

I'm not really sure it ever had any appeal beyond that to me. I'd consider picking it up as a Dreamcast collectible but even that has a lot less appeal than the original idea. I don't remember any reviews raving about it so I'm not sure why it generated so much support outside of its main nostalgia trick. As you say, there are numerous old school style RPG's available on Steam and other platforms already.
The Shoemaker wrote:
There was a thread discussing it on VCF here:

http://www.vc-forums.com/f47/pier-solar-21331/

One user did get his copy although his thoughts weren't massively expansive he did post some pics.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:And Xbox 360 has rules against self publishing or something like that doesn't it?
Yeah, I believe so; but I thought it was Microsoft-wide, rather than just the XB360...
Oddly they only have those rules for the 360, dropped it for the X1. You'd think they'd make it Micro-wide.
A Beta Fu7ure wrote: There was a thread discussing it on VCF here:

http://www.vc-forums.com/f47/pier-solar-21331/

One user did get his copy although his thoughts weren't massively expansive he did post some pics.
Hmm, pictures were deleted it seems. I like the idea of it, like how Ducktales Remastered came out with a working NES edition. It seems like the main gimmick is gone by coming out on other consoles, but the game sounds interesting just based on how massive it sounds.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

If it's good (and I don't know whether it is or not yet), then the "gimmick" of being developed for Genesis is irrelevant. They didn't develop it on Genesis to be a gimmick or to give it niche appeal, and they didn't just develop any old trashy 16-bit RPG just to slap it on the Genesis. They developed Pier Solar as a 16-bit RPG because they loved the tone and aesthetic of 16-bit RPGs and wanted to emulate that. They developed it on Genesis because they loved the hardware and the system's culture. That passion isn't nullified by being released on other platforms. If the game is good and the developers' intent was true, it'll carry over to the new platforms and stand on its own merit.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote:Oddly they only have those rules for the 360, dropped it for the X1. You'd think they'd make it Micro-wide.
Makes no sense why they didn't remove that policy they made for it [the Xbox 360].
Hmm, pictures were deleted it seems. I like the idea of it, like how Ducktales Remastered came out with a working NES edition. It seems like the main gimmick is gone by coming out on other consoles, but the game sounds interesting just based on how massive it sounds.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool Capcom came up with a press/special kit on that. Also, yeah I'm not surprised about the pictures not showing up. It was starting to break down, and with nobody around that could fix the various problems.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:If it's good (and I don't know whether it is or not yet), then the "gimmick" of being developed for Genesis is irrelevant. They didn't develop it on Genesis to be a gimmick or to give it niche appeal, and they didn't just develop any old trashy 16-bit RPG just to slap it on the Genesis. They developed Pier Solar as a 16-bit RPG because they loved the tone and aesthetic of 16-bit RPGs and wanted to emulate that. They developed it on Genesis because they loved the hardware and the system's culture. That passion isn't nullified by being released on other platforms. If the game is good and the developers' intent was true, it'll carry over to the new platforms and stand on its own merit.
Yes, but it sounds like most of you (and many others I'm sure) gained interest because it was an original game being made for an older system. Of course that doesn't stop it from being a good game on its own merit, it just takes away some of the novelty, which like you said is irrelevant.

Based on what I read on the Kickstarter page it sounds like the developers have a lot of heart and were very thoughtful of the genre when they made this game. I hope it's good.

EDIT: Ah I've definitely seen this game before in an eShop preview. I just assumed it was a new retro styled RPG.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote:Yes, but it sounds like most of you (and many others I'm sure) gained interest because it was an original game being made for an older system.
And it sounds to me that it was developed on or [using] the Sega Genesis architecture, and then stored in another place, to be put on newer consoles. Like we (and they said), there's a lot of heart put into the game...
Ah I've definitely seen this game before in an eShop preview. I just assumed it was a new retro styled RPG.
There's a two minute video/trailer of the game in the eShop at the moment.