Playstation 5

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Playstation 5

Post by SkyPikachu »

I thought I'd make a general thread about the next Sony console. (Like the switch one)

It seems like the console won't be launching until 2021.

Here's a quote from head of PlayStation, John Kodera, reported to The Wall Street Journal.
We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future,
Very interesting as they have just announced the PS4 has reached it end cycle and I think a lot of people expected a console in 2020.

2021 would mean 8 years between the PS4 and PS5.

Reportedly devs kits have been sent out but they're pretty basic so we still know very little about the console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Kong Wen »

I don't mind them taking a lot of time to do research and development.

The PS4 is reaching the end of its life cycle, but that doesn't mean it's weak or behind. It still has a lot of gas left in the tank, and stuff like the PS4 Pro / 4K / VR is going to keep things moving for a while.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 May 2018 13:49 I don't mind them taking a lot of time to do research and development.

The PS4 is reaching the end of its life cycle, but that doesn't mean it's weak or behind. It still has a lot of gas left in the tank, and stuff like the PS4 Pro / 4K / VR is going to keep things moving for a while.
Yeah I forgot to actual mention my opinion on it and I'm glad the PS4 is going to be lasting til 2021. Most likely going to see a lot of games until 2023 as well.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

For some reason this gen still feels like it just started, like we're in the peak years right now. 2021 Sounds like a fine time to switch over.

Will be interesting to see what Nintendo does once ps5 and Xbox Two come out. Switch can run some ps4 level games, but requires a lot of downgrades. Once ps5 ones out, the power gap will only be more notable. Though I suspect the first 2 years of next gen will have a lot of cross generation games.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 24 May 2018 14:44 For some reason this gen still feels like it just started, like we're in the peak years right now. 2021 Sounds like a fine time to switch over.

Will be interesting to see what Nintendo does once ps5 and Xbox Two come out. Switch can run some ps4 level games, but requires a lot of downgrades. Once ps5 ones out, the power gap will only be more notable. Though I suspect the first 2 years of next gen will have a lot of cross generation games.
Everyone says it's because of the Xbox One X and PS Pro but I think it's just that we've gotten much older and times goes quicker so 5 years feels more like 2-3 to us now as we're not kids anymore.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Time flying is really about context. It does seem like this has been a long generation to me, because I got my PS4 as soon as I moved into my new house, and before I got Berlin, and I remember still playing lots of PS3 games in the new house, etc. And that was 5-6 years ago. So with a distinct historical anchor like that, it gives a better sense of how time passes.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Now that the mad men at Microsoft and Sony finally went and released incremental upgrade consoles I wonder if the next gen will work in a similar way. Will PS4 and One games work on the new consoles? Will those games get higher fidelity graphics modes? Will we have game boxes that say "Compatible with PS4 Pro and PS5" or "PS5 only"?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Spore wrote: 24 May 2018 19:39 Now that the mad men at Microsoft and Sony finally went and released incremental upgrade consoles I wonder if the next gen will work in a similar way. Will PS4 and One games work on the new consoles? Will those games get higher fidelity graphics modes? Will we have game boxes that say "Compatible with PS4 Pro and PS5" or "PS5 only"?
I'm curious of this as well, and honestly wouldn't be too surprised if this is the case. Though I'm expecting it of the One X over the Pro a little, just because of all the flops it has.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

PS5

Post by Kong Wen »

Wired published an interview with Mark Cerny a couple days ago where he revealed some details about the next Sony console. It doesn't have a name yet, but I'm calling it PS5 for now.
  • Not coming out in 2019 (probably 2020 launch)
  • AMD 8-core CPU
  • Radeon Navi variant GPU - first console to support ray-tracing
  • 3D audio
  • Current VR set is compatible
  • SSD
  • 8K & 4K support
  • Still plays physical media (whether that's Blu-Rays or something new)
  • Many games will get simultaneous PS4 & PS5 launches ("gentle transition")
  • Fully backwards compatible with PS4 games
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: PS5

Post by The Shoemaker »

It'll be interesting to see how many of these features it will "support" and how much it will actually use. Many have mentioned that ray-tracing is pretty unrealistic to expect wide spread, and something like 8K is also supported in the Xbox One X, but no one is using it yet.

Would be cool if it's just a built up PS4. Not just backwards compatible with PS4 games but acting liking a PS4 Pro Pro and improving the performance further. Like the quick load example they used for Spider-man.

I suspect I'll be a late adopter for this next gen unless they make something like a cheap digital/streaming only entry point. But I also expect a couple years of cross gen support.