LEGO Voltron

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

LEGO Voltron

Post by Kong Wen »

LEGO Voltron is coming out on 1 August. It contains 2300 pieces and costs $180 USD. It looks amazing, and it actually allows you to detach the individual cats.

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: LEGO Voltron

Post by VictorViper »

I dropped a big ol hint about this for my birthday this morning. Absolutely NOT expecting to get it, bit my girl's been known to go nuts sometimes.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Lego really is pricey. Would love something like this but at $240+ AUD I could buy a whole lot more with that money that it just seems way too expensive.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 29 Jun 2018 13:50 Lego really is pricey. Would love something like this but at $240+ AUD I could buy a whole lot more with that money that it just seems way too expensive.
Yeah, it's definitely either a premium toy for hours of entertainment for kids, or a nostalgia showpiece for adults. I remember when I was a kid, I would get a LEGO set as my big birthday or winter holiday gift and it would last me quite a while. Now my nephews have my old LEGO and I just have a couple big ideas sets that I've acquired more recently, so it's definitely seen some miles.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 29 Jun 2018 13:52
Slurmee wrote: 29 Jun 2018 13:50 Lego really is pricey. Would love something like this but at $240+ AUD I could buy a whole lot more with that money that it just seems way too expensive.
Yeah, it's definitely either a premium toy for hours of entertainment for kids, or a nostalgia showpiece for adults. I remember when I was a kid, I would get a LEGO set as my big birthday or winter holiday gift and it would last me quite a while. Now my nephews have my old LEGO and I just have a couple big ideas sets that I've acquired more recently, so it's definitely seen some miles.
It’s sad because I love LEGO it’s just more of a $50 hobby instead of a $200+
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Plenty of cheaper kits out there - this one's a serious kit (and they get much, much worse, believe it). The Ideas line has been pretty varied that way though, which is really nice. I got the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 and I believe that was around $50. It's a great piece for the ol' nerd mantle (and goes well with my girlfriend's $250 haunted house). I'm like Kong in that I had a TON of Lego as a kid, amassing it over the years and usually getting one big kit at a birthday or Christmas. That's all long gone, but we've been picking up showpieces here and there in our adulthood - building is still cathartic.

So far, we have:

- "Monster Fighters" Haunted House - this is a proper masterpiece, FWIW
- Scooby-Doo's Mystery Machine
- Benny's Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!! (Lego Movie) - badass
- Ghostbusters Ecto-1
- The Beatles Yellow Submarine

I've been eyeing this one, but it's not a cheapie (kind of mid-tier):

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Ship-in-a-B ... n+a+bottle

Still looking at $120 there, but again that's something really unique, and a showpiece. Don't get me started on the Porsche GT3 Technics..........

[EDIT] Ooh, that was the Canadian store, so $90 is right (I think we're still about par with AUD). Anyway, not all are inanely expensive, thankfully.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I did it.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Kong Wen wrote: 03 Aug 2018 14:09I did it.
Oh you beautiful man.

Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

VictorViper wrote: 29 Jun 2018 15:11 Plenty of cheaper kits out there - this one's a serious kit (and they get much, much worse, believe it). The Ideas line has been pretty varied that way though, which is really nice. I got the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 and I believe that was around $50. It's a great piece for the ol' nerd mantle (and goes well with my girlfriend's $250 haunted house). I'm like Kong in that I had a TON of Lego as a kid, amassing it over the years and usually getting one big kit at a birthday or Christmas. That's all long gone, but we've been picking up showpieces here and there in our adulthood - building is still cathartic.
Oooh, yeah, I also have the Ecto-1. It sits on my desk as I type this. Love it.

I never really had LEGOs as a kid, but I _loved_ putting this one together. Next time they put out something that appeals to me in the same vein, I'd be totally down to do it again. Like you say, nice showpieces for adulthood.
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

VictorViper wrote: 03 Aug 2018 15:12
Kong Wen wrote: 03 Aug 2018 14:09I did it.
Oh you beautiful man.
And a beautiful woman has I.