PS Now - Open Beta

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: PS Now - Open Beta

Post by The Shoemaker »

Any updates on this service? More games announced?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Any updates on this service? More games announced?
The service has been expanding quite a bit from what I can tell, I just haven't been posting updates because I don't use it myself. Plus there are rumours that PS4 will be getting real PS2 backwards compatibility soonish (thanks Xbox!). Let me see what I can dig up.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Any updates on this service? More games announced?
The service has been expanding quite a bit from what I can tell, I just haven't been posting updates because I don't use it myself. Plus there are rumours that PS4 will be getting real PS2 backwards compatibility soonish (thanks Xbox!). Let me see what I can dig up.
PS2 backwards compatibility would be neat, especially since I bought a PS3 last gen to play PS2 games only to find out my PS3 wasn't backwards compatible :(

If the service is still $20 a month I think it would probably be worth while for at least one month. I could try out The Last of Us, Final Fantasy XIII, Bioshock Infinite and a few others. Would have to be a summer month though, when I have time to chug my way through a bunch of games :lol:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:If the service is still $20 a month I think it would probably be worth while for at least one month. I could try out The Last of Us, Final Fantasy XIII, Bioshock Infinite and a few others. Would have to be a summer month though, when I have time to chug my way through a bunch of games :lol:
It's currently $19.99 per month, $44.99 for three months, and starting this week, they're offering a one-year subscription for only $99.99 (for a limited time). That one year subscription works out to $8.33/month, which is actually pretty good if there are even a handful of games you'd want to play on the service.

Here's the complete current list of available games. I have to admit, I'm having a look over it myself.
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

I tried Of Orcs and Men a while ago, and I was not impressed. That being said, I've had an upgrade in internet speed since then, but at the time my internet should have been adequate to stream the game flawlessly. The whole thing was a mess, and I will not be giving it another go. Microsoft easily trumped Sony in this area, which is sad, considering I missed out on several PS3 exclusives last gen.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Drauks wrote:I tried Of Orcs and Men a while ago, and I was not impressed. That being said, I've had an upgrade in internet speed since then, but at the time my internet should have been adequate to stream the game flawlessly. The whole thing was a mess, and I will not be giving it another go. Microsoft easily trumped Sony in this area, which is sad, considering I missed out on several PS3 exclusives last gen.
Right, I forgot you actually need to Stream these games. Too bad you can't just download them and have to be connected to the internet to play.

Just made your experience really choppy? I think my internet speed is not bad, it should work fine.
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

A lot of textures failed to ever load in, for the entire experience. The game was ever a blob.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I gave the service a shot yesterday. It was not bad. The selection of games is pretty good, and most games load within a reasonable amount of time. My overall experience was good in that I experienced minimal lag and occasional blurry moments, only happened a few times though and was immediately resolved.

The experience I was most happy with was Batman Arkham Knight. The game doesn't seem to require a lot of quick movements so it works well.

I tried out Sonic Generations and Mega Man 10, they weren't as playable. They were very close, but that tiny bit of input lag is a bit too unforgiving in these games.

I believe the maximum resolution is 720p, but I don't think it ever got that high. Everything looked a little muddy but I didn't particularly mind it.

I'm just using the free trial right now. I think I'll either get one month or just rent Batman itself for a month to complete it. I'll have a look at some other games to see if a month is worthwhile. Wouldn't mind trying The Last of Us.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

PS Now has been quietly accumulating titles, and is soon coming to PC. They're also releasing a wireless USB adaptor to allow you to play with a DualShock 4. (Good to be able to play PS games with the PS controller!)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:PS Now has been quietly accumulating titles, and is soon coming to PC. They're also releasing a wireless USB adaptor to allow you to play with a DualShock 4. (Good to be able to play PS games with the PS controller!)
Pretty neat news. Any chance that this is the first step towards putting Sony first party titles on PC like Microsoft? Pc gaming is looking better and better.