Best Mech Customization (Round One)

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Best Mech Customization (Round One)

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 03 Mar 2019 22:54
Slurmee wrote: 03 Mar 2019 22:52
Kong Wen wrote: 03 Mar 2019 22:48

Nope, your formatting is wrong. There are 4 games Carnage Heart failed to beat.
Then fallout 4 and custom robo are 3rd. But that's not how rankings work.
Yes it is.

Only 4 games can advance. If they were 4th place, and they advanced, 5 games would have somehow metaphysically advanced. Not possible, not enough room for them.

Think about it this way: the tie-breaker already happened. It was the potential for someone to cast a vote that would have broken their tie. Since no one did so, that was the end of that.
Alright that clears that up but I think we should have a minimum on how many can go through. So there's a clear rule.

Eg
Say atleast 50% of the potential. (rounding up)

So 2 games must advance if the max is 4
3 if the max is 5.

That way we don't get in a situation where we have to try and decide on the spot if we need a tie breaker.

Edit: which also means the current 3 going through means no tiebreaker.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The basic rule is that we're not going to spend a week running a poll between two low-vote games in a low-vote side-event.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:04 The basic rule is that we're not going to spend a week running a poll between two low-vote games in a low-vote side-event.
So this rule doesn't apply for the main event? (the important part)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:06
Kong Wen wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:04 The basic rule is that we're not going to spend a week running a poll between two low-vote games in a low-vote side-event.
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:08
Maybe I'm just a sucker for numbers and rules but I feel like this "rule" can just be abused by someone just kicking up a fuss if their game ties in the main event to try and get a tie breaker poll when we don't have guidelines.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:15

Maybe I'm just a sucker for numbers and rules but I feel like this "rule" can just be abused by someone just kicking up a fuss if their game ties in the main event to try and get a tie breaker poll when we don't have guidelines.
The only person who can abuse anything is me, and I'm not going to abuse anything, because I'm awesome.

If anything, this approach will make people think twice about relying on bad strategies like banking on ties to edge a game through. The only way to help a game advance is to vote for it.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:17

The only person who can abuse anything is me, and I'm not going to abuse anything, because I'm awesome.

If anything, this approach will make people think twice about relying on bad strategies like banking on ties to edge a game through. The only way to help a game advance is to vote for it.
The fact you can abuse it (not that you would) means there's a flaw in the system though.

I personally I never bank on other games to get enough votes. Not in the voting stage at least.

Also is 5 votes a low amount of votes if not what is if yes then what isn't. The rule could have a situation where person A says game A and game B are tied on 5 votes there should be a tiebreaker then person B says no that's a low amount of votes then you have to come out and pick a side and someones then disappointed due to not having a tiebreaker rule set in place.

It just seems really really messy.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:25

The fact you can abuse it (not that you would) means there's a flaw in the system though.
A flaw in the system where we all dump a bunch of video games into a hat and then talk about which ones we like? Good thing I've stocked up on canned good and ammo!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:27

A flaw in the system where we all dump a bunch of video games into a hat and then talk about which ones we like? Good thing I've stocked up on canned good and ammo!
I guess I am taking this a bit too seriously. I do love tiebreakers though as we really get to discuss the 2 games.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

Slurmee wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:31
Kong Wen wrote: 03 Mar 2019 23:27

I guess I am taking this a bit too seriously. I do love tiebreakers though as we really get to discuss the 2 games.
Nothing to stop you discussing them before a tiebreaker would even occur.