What wow moments has gaming given you ?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

What wow moments has gaming given you ?

Post by Ouenben »

When have you felt utterly gobsmacked and amazed by gaming ? What's the last gaming related moment that blew your mind?

I remember watching the Nintendo revolution/Wii controller reveal and being absolutely buzzing about the idea of motion controls.

Also was very very impressed by the hd rumble in the switch for a particular mini game on 1,2 switch around counting balls in a box and it felt like they were really inside the controller.

Most recently I think it was probably Beat Saber and Super Hot on VR that left me gobsmacked. The responsiveness and immersion was unreal I'd only experienced a handful of mobile VR and like 20 minutes of Vive before so nothing that left me speechless, but looking around superhot at enemies while bullets slowly floated mere inches Infront of my face and then looking straight forward and aiming my gun backwards over my shoulder and shooting a guy behind me and then turning to see he had perished into a million red bits was just astounding.
Beat saber was everything I wanted it to be gameplay wise from the trailers, felt like a ninja Jedi badass playing the songs and slashing away at the notes.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: What wow moments has gaming given you ?

Post by SkyPikachu »

This is going to sound dumb but seeing my reflecting in the water in pokemon sapphire.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

Slurmee wrote: 27 Feb 2019 23:55 This is going to sound dumb but seeing my reflecting in the water in pokemon sapphire.
You reminded me with your Zelda puzzle in another thread about another code: two memories on the DS that required me to close the lid to complete a puzzle which I was stuck on for nearly an hour! I was so amazed by how clever and outside the box this was.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Ouenben wrote: 27 Feb 2019 23:59
Slurmee wrote: 27 Feb 2019 23:55 This is going to sound dumb but seeing my reflecting in the water in pokemon sapphire.
You reminded me with your Zelda puzzle in another thread about another code: two memories on the DS that required me to close the lid to complete a puzzle which I was stuck on for nearly an hour! I was so amazed by how clever and outside the box this was.
Oh yeah that was amazing too. Obviously different game for me but same mechanic regardless.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

The first time I played Astrobot was a wow moment for me. The immersion is incredible and I immediately let my wife and kids try it so they could experience it too.

The first time I beat Silent Hill 2 was a wow moment for me. I got one of the more clever endings and hadn’t experienced that level of narrative excellence in a game before then.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons at that part...character growth...

Shadowhearts Covenant - the bench scene. Tore my heart in two in two different ways at the same time. I’ve been on both sides of that bench. That and one of the lines in the ending. Just wow. I love that game.

I had been on a gaming hiatus for years when my best friend bought me Dragon Warrior VII. He did that knowing I’d love it. I had to buy a tv and PS2 to play it though lol which I happily did. The first time you warp in that game it has this graphic presentation of blue swirls that aren’t sprite-based and something games just couldn’t do back when I’d last played them on the Genesis. It really made me realize that things were different now and I eagerly explored the PS2 library after beating DWVII and found many games I still treasure.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Sharecrow wrote: 28 Feb 2019 03:29Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons at that part...character growth...
:cry: :cry: :cry: