Achievements Bragging Rights

The home of various "master lists" of This Old Neon members' gaming accomplishments and collections. Achievements and trophies, play time, and lists of collected and completed games go here.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Achievements Bragging Rights

Post by VictorViper »

Clay, you're largely describing the same gameplay evolution as with a Dark Souls game. The mark of a truly great game, for me, is having a desire to play again (and again and again). From the sounds of things, that cash grab of a game was at least still a valuable purchase for you. I'll bet it's made the wait for the new one unbearable! :D
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

VictorViper wrote:Clay, you're largely describing the same gameplay evolution as with a Dark Souls game. The mark of a truly great game, for me, is having a desire to play again (and again and again). From the sounds of things, that cash grab of a game was at least still a valuable purchase for you. I'll bet it's made the wait for the new one unbearable! :D
Oh, it was absolutely a valuable purchase to me. Although I don't particularly like the Souls games myself, I do appreciate that they offer lots of ways to play and master them. If you're good enough, you can do anything at any time. I totally agree that that's a great thing to strive for. Games like that, the ones that you find yourself experimenting with after you've beaten them multiple times, really stick with you as favorites. I did a lot of that in my youth, but that was mostly because my parents only bought me maybe one or two games every several months, and I played them all the time. Now that I have the income to buy as I please, I tend to jump ship to the next game on my list once I see credits. I'm always pleased when a game manages to still keep me well beyond that. Even after getting the last achievement, I found myself thinking "fuck it, let's go back to one of the missions and kill every single soldier on the base, just for the hell of it." The game even times how long it takes you to do so, which I'd forgotten about but is a great feature.

And yes, I can't wait for Phantom Pain. Many people have characterized GZ as a "paid demo," and there's a kernel of truth to that, but if it is, then it's the best damn demo I've ever played. Part of the reason I keep coming back to GZ is that it represents easily the biggest leap forward in the Metal Gear series in terms of mechanics. It does eschew some older mechanics that I enjoyed, and as I said before, it introduces some optional elements that make the game a bit easy, but the raw stealth mechanics are the best they've ever been by no small margin. Really looking forward to TPP. Will be counting down the days like you Souls fanatics did back in March. Whenever we get a release date, that is. :(
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:XBLA Achievement Chart for Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Highest Gain: 340 (Claytone)
Position Gains: N/A

Claytone led the charge on the Xbox side, picking up 340 new achievements, closely followed by Yossarian with 335. Microsoft revamped their website within the past month or so, which means I can see completion % again, so I've added it back into the charts. There were no position changes, but there are some close races now.
XBLA Achievement Chart for Thursday, 4 September 2014

Highest Gain: 335 (Claytone)
Position Gains: Yossarian (#14 to #12)

Claytone and Yossarian are driving the action again this month, with Clay picking up the most new achievements for the second month in a row, and Yossarian hopping Sinnthro and Starmancer to move into 12th place. The erstwhile Angelic Lapras King also picked up a large number of achievements, possibly gearing up to try to pass Forscyvus.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
PoisonRamune
Chatbox Gargoyle
Chatbox Gargoyle

Post by PoisonRamune »

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

PoisonRamune wrote:http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/ ... -1000-1000

For quick gains, just sayin'
Surprised to see Oblivion on there. It didn't seem like a "quick" anything when I booted it up.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:XBLA Achievement Chart for Thursday, 4 September 2014

Highest Gain: 335 (Claytone)
Position Gains: Yossarian (#14 to #12)

Claytone and Yossarian are driving the action again this month, with Clay picking up the most new achievements for the second month in a row, and Yossarian hopping Sinnthro and Starmancer to move into 12th place. The erstwhile Angelic Lapras King also picked up a large number of achievements, possibly gearing up to try to pass Forscyvus.
XBLA Achievement Chart for Thursday, 2 October 2014

Highest Gain: 1020 (Claytone)

Claytone earned the most new achievements for the third month in a row, a quiet month that he blasted with an over-1000G gain!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:XBLA Achievement Chart for Thursday, 2 October 2014

Highest Gain: 1020 (Claytone)

Claytone earned the most new achievements for the third month in a row, a quiet month that he blasted with an over-1000G gain!
XBLA Achievement Chart for Thursday, 6 November 2014

Highest Gain: 50 (Angelic Lapras King)

It's been a quiet month after Clay made a bunch of noise last month. The biggest gain was posted by a non-member, with 50. Yossarian and Mick are the only two members who earned new achievements, at 10 and 20 respectively.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Xbox is always quiet around here. 50 points being top is like someone taking the PSN charts with a single silver!

I'll get around to buying Sunset Overdrive and/or Halo: MCC soon enough.

Little sad, though. I hope someone around here gets a Bone eventually so I'll have some hotter competition. I know there are some 360 folks, but the well of new releases runs dry on that front.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:Little sad, though. I hope someone around here gets a Bone eventually so I'll have some hotter competition. I know there are some 360 folks, but the well of new releases runs dry on that front.
Even then, people simply aren't playing them. Maybe it's the lack of new releases, like you said. Ouenben is MIA. Vic & Pluvius haven't played in months. ALK and Rad haven't joined the forum yet.

I have plenty of 360 games I still intend to play. I simply haven't gotten around to them yet since I've been prioritizing my PS and Steam games. :(
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:XBLA Achievement Chart for Thursday, 6 November 2014

Highest Gain: 50 (Angelic Lapras King)

It's been a quiet month after Clay made a bunch of noise last month. The biggest gain was posted by a non-member, with 50. Yossarian and Mick are the only two members who earned new achievements, at 10 and 20 respectively.
XBLA Achievement Chart for Friday, 5 December 2014

Highest Gain: 240 (Claytone)
Position Gains: Yossarian (#12 to #11)

A fair few solid gains now that folks are starting to get Xbones! Ouenben, Claytone, and Forscyvus each picked up over 200 points. Even our old buddy Yossarian managed to earn enough achievements to sneak past the idle slangman.