Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

The game is on discount now, so I might join in on the Wii U. Will get back on it when I've decided to get it. Who else was playing on the Wii U?
Grt. Merlin

MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Downloaded the game yesterday and played a little of the arcade mode. Started with the fighter and played with the other classes when I went down. Can't judge the game yet, but I'll try some other play modes.
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Downloaded the game yesterday and played a little of the arcade mode. Started with the fighter and played with the other classes when I went down. Can't judge the game yet, but I'll try some other play modes.
Bear in mind that this is a compilation of two games: Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara. Tower of Doom is the earlier game, and you should start with it, because it's a bit simpler (less complicated mechanics, fewer treasures, etc.). It'll also make Shadow feel like an amazing technical leap forward when you get to it. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Started Tower of Doom yesterday and stopped at Dragons Marches (right name?). Noticed less movement options and less classes to choose from. Went with fighter and the 'default' choices, don't know if that really makes a difference in the game progression. The continues seem endless, so getting to the end of the game will eventually happen?
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Started Tower of Doom yesterday and stopped at Dragons Marches (right name?). Noticed less movement options and less classes to choose from. Went with fighter and the 'default' choices, don't know if that really makes a difference in the game progression. The continues seem endless, so getting to the end of the game will eventually happen?
All of the choices you make through the game determine which levels/stages you will play, which obviously determines whether you'll find secret treasure or fight optional bosses, etc. But yes, you can just keep continuing until you win, and you can easily go back and see the paths you didn't take by playing a new game (overall, it's not a long game).
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Just an update! I beat Tower of Doom yesterday (including maybe 2 levels with Share), and I had beaten Shadow over Mystara before (with Vic and Jelly).

If I want to continue on for completion, I'd have to kill 1000 enemies (I'm at around 400 now), amass an ungodly sum of gold/money, and complete the challenges (I'd have to take a look in-game and see what these all are). Some of the treasures, especially in Mystara, will take a few runs through the game because of the multiple paths and hidden rooms.

I'll probably continue to chip away at this game.

Has anyone else had any luck making progress?

I wouldn't mind discussing the actual mechanics & "story" of the game here as well, if people aren't too scared of spoilers?
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Haven't continued since last time. After defeating a 'big' foe, you don't always get a chance to collect all the fallen gold or items. The character moves on on his own. Also haven't done any multiplayer, but afaik only The Shoemaker also has the Wii U version.
Grt. Merlin

Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I'm going to continue to play this occasionally and am up for Shadow of Mystara co-op if I'm around and free at the time. Just ping me here or in the chat.

I think the treasure portion will be the most daunting factor of getting a :c:. In part because the game has multiple paths and secrets and even more considering stuff can disappear quickly or become unavailable quickly. I think I'll just play it a dozen times or so then review what I may be missing at that point. That's the plan anyway.

I hated the last boss of Shadow by the way - irritating attacks and looked kind of dumb, too.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I'm doing a Shadow Over Mystara run tonight around 8 central. I'll either be a thief, elf, or magic user...I need to see what challenges I'm still lacking. Anyway, feel free to join me if anyone is interested. This will be on PS3.

I'm still missing a good bit of treasure too. Mostly tonight I'm playing for fun and hope to progress some against challenges or treasure hoarding as well.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:I'm doing a Shadow Over Mystara run tonight around 8 central. I'll either be a thief, elf, or magic user...I need to see what challenges I'm still lacking. Anyway, feel free to join me if anyone is interested. This will be on PS3.

I'm still missing a good bit of treasure too. Mostly tonight I'm playing for fun and hope to progress some against challenges or treasure hoarding as well.
Hopefully you have more luck than we were having with the connection!