Retro Game Stores

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Retro Game Stores

Post by kawaiipikachu »

I was inspired to create this thread after the subject came up in another thread.

Here to talk about any retro game stores that you guys may have in your area & even shopped at.

For me there's GameTraders.
While admittedly there focus these days have since shifted more towards overall geek stuff like Fiqurines, cosplay, Trading Card Game tournaments, ect, ect.

Still they do come across some pretty good retro gear like Mattle Intillivision a PC Engine. even one of the stores I regularly visit have even 4 Pikachu Nintendo 64s, 3 of them boxed.
Just a shame that I didn't have the money to pick one up.
edit
plus there site has a retro game search so you can see if any of there stores have the game you want.

Still let us know of any stores that you visit & like to share with us.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Retro Game Stores

Post by SkyPikachu »

Gametraders died in Victoria. which sucks. I liked being able to buy retro stuff from them.

There's less and less retro stores popping up nowadays here. :(
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

There used to be a store with (2nd hand) old games and new, but it went out of bussiness before the Wii was here. Only know a few online retro shops, bought a few N64 games online long ago. There may be retro stores in other cities, but I think that running an online shop is cheaper for them. Found a couple of stores on RetroCollect.com. RetroGameFreak is one of the online shops I've checked (but not bought from).
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The best retro shop here is a locally-owned joint, so it's not part of a chain. In addition to having a really great inventory of games and game-related items like posters, art books, miniatures, toys, candy, etc. they're also very active in the community, usually hosting some kind of weekly event almost every night (Street Fighter & fighting game nights, anime nights, streaming games for fun, charity events, etc.). They're pretty awesome.

A Play 'N' Trade moved into town a few years ago, but they quickly went out of business, partly because of the local shop's loyal following, and partly because they didn't really know what they were doing... that's where I bought EarthBound for $30, for example. The guy who owned it was a businessman instead of a gamer, and it showed.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Retro stores are a hard thing to find in the UK which I always think is a shame. I like the immediacy of them to ebay. There is one that I sometimes visit but in recent years his stock has dwindled and is always so highly priced.

Unfortunately thee places have contracted the same bug that many ebayers now have of believing any game from any system pre-PS1 must be some sort of r@re hidden gem that will make them a millionaire from other people's nostalgia. As a result i rarely buy anything from them. I did pick up a nice little GBA holder/bag that I use for my NGPC but the games are way to highly priced.

Good thread, btw. Kawaii. Maybe you would like to compile it into a master list of physical places if people can supply the name and address.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Slurmee wrote:Gametraders died in Victoria. which sucks. I liked being able to buy retro stuff from them.

There website does mentions 3 stores in Victoria,
Yeah it does sucks that many of there stores are now gone like example Glenelg store, which happens to be the first one that I visited.
Kong Wen wrote:The best retro shop here is a locally-owned joint, so it's not part of a chain. In addition to having a really great inventory of games and game-related items like posters, art books, miniatures, toys, candy, etc. they're also very active in the community, usually hosting some kind of weekly event almost every night (Street Fighter & fighting game nights, anime nights, streaming games for fun, charity events, etc.). They're pretty awesome.
Sounds like you got a pretty good store there with great community events.
Kong Wen wrote:A Play 'N' Trade moved into town a few years ago, but they quickly went out of business, partly because of the local shop's loyal following, and partly because they didn't really know what they were doing... that's where I bought EarthBound for $30, for example. The guy who owned it was a businessman instead of a gamer, and it showed.
Yeah some of the best guys that I know that run game stores are gamers themselves

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:Retro stores are a hard thing to find in the UK which I always think is a shame. I like the immediacy of them to ebay. There is one that I sometimes visit but in recent years his stock has dwindled and is always so highly priced.

Unfortunately thee places have contracted the same bug that many ebayers now have of believing any game from any system pre-PS1 must be some sort of r@re hidden gem that will make them a millionaire from other people's nostalgia. As a result i rarely buy anything from them. I did pick up a nice little GBA holder/bag that I use for my NGPC but the games are way to highly priced.
Unfortunately dwindling stock has affect Gametraders but at least most of there prices that I seen not over priced & they know the collectables they own & priced accordingly.
while most of there retro games are no more than $15-20 yet collectibles like Donkey Kong Game & Watch priced at $130.
So most of there stock are at pretty reasonable prices.
Well maybe except that one N64 game storage tower priced at $70
The N64's I seen there these days tend to be at $60 for a standard black system so it's a pretty weird WTF.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

There's a PNP Games store by my place, I like their selection but I mainly buy new games from them. As limited as it is the Virtual Console service fufills my retro gaming needs. I do like the store though, you get $5 off every game you preorder.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

kawaiipikachu wrote:
Slurmee wrote:Gametraders died in Victoria. which sucks. I liked being able to buy retro stuff from them.

There website does mentions 3 stores in Victoria,
Yeah it does sucks that many of there stores are now gone like example Glenelg store, which happens to be the first one that I visited.
We use to have about 13 I think.

There's only 1 in Melbourne then 1 in Bacchus Marsh which is half way to ballarat then the Mildura store which I think is about 8 hours from Melbourne. Aka Adelaide is closer to Mildura.

It's really sad I use to love going into my local store.

hey use to have 46 stores now they have 17. I think it was 22 about a year ago.