E3 2019

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Re: E3 2019

Post by Ouenben »

SkyPikachu wrote: 11 Jun 2019 06:38
Kong Wen wrote: 11 Jun 2019 04:42
SkyPikachu wrote: 11 Jun 2019 04:20 Avenerages looked bad and again no gameplay also why not use original cast and why show off the none original cast I feel like that's just showing off a major flaw in the game.
What do you mean by original cast? The movies cast? This game is not the movies. In comics especially, this shouldn't be a new idea.

The voice cast for this game is star-studded.
The movie cast yes. That seems like the cast everyone knows and loves. I had someone in stream being upset by it I personally don't watch the avengers though but seeing someone other than Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man feels really weird to me.

Maybe I'm wrong and nobody will care. It doesn't really bother me either way since I won't play it.

The Avengers was a known franchise decades before it was a cinematic universe franchise. Noone complained that Lego marvel doesn't use the MCU cast, nor did they moan when guardians telltale games was a different cast.
The costs of getting the MCU actors (some of which are done with the franchise now ) would be insanely costly. There was definitely gameplay there in that trailer too. I'd recommend watching it again.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

I don't think BotW 2 will be as far away as we might think, it gives me quite the Majora's mask vibe with it being a direct sequel using the same engine and assets. They might manage to bang it out by holiday 2020 or early 2021. I'd love to see more traditional dungeons thrown into the mix
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Ouenben wrote: 11 Jun 2019 22:26 I don't think BotW 2 will be as far away as we might think, it gives me quite the Majora's mask vibe with it being a direct sequel using the same engine and assets. They might manage to bang it out by holiday 2020 or early 2021. I'd love to see more traditional dungeons thrown into the mix
I think holiday 2020 is likely. Even early 2021 would be 4 years since the original game. Really hoping it's not set in the same overworld as BOTW. Still, hype reveal.

All the games we knew about before looked even better this time I thought. Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening all look really good.

Banjo Kazooie was my most wanted smash character. It's all icing from now till the end of time.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

The Shoemaker wrote: 11 Jun 2019 22:38 Banjo Kazooie was my most wanted smash character. It's all icing from now till the end of time.
Great feeling, isn't it? That's how I felt when Little Mac was announced a few years back.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Nintendo

Smash x Dragon Quest - No comment don't play smash
Dragon Quest XI Special Mega Herpa Derpa S Edition - A date was nice that was basically it.
Bowser - Was a nice touch introducing Doug Bowser.
Luigi's Mansion 3 - This game stole Nintendo's direct for me. The gameplay looks really fun. I haven't played a game from this series before. (I haven't seen the Treehouse demo yet). Really sad it doesn't have a date.
The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance Tactics - When rewatching this direct to make this post I completely forgot this game was announced probably because it looks like shit.
Links Awakening - Looks better than I thought it would. Did they also have a dungeon maker or something that seems really cool. (haven't seen treehouse demo) Also good release date.
Trials of Mana Remake - Idk anything about this game. Looks interesting
Collection of Mana - I know Secret of Mana is loved a lot here. I might buy at the right price
Witcher 3 - Holy moly does it look bad on switch.
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Needed to be shown I guess. Not what I come to watch at e3 though
Resident Evil - Not my series nice that they added it but the way it was presented was strange
No more hero 3 - Looks interesting not sure if I'll buy it though
Contra Rogue Ops - Is this a remake it looks graphically really bad.
Contra Collection - Nice to see lots of ports I guess
Daemon x Machina - After the demo and this trailer I'm even less sold.
Panzor Dragoon - Never heard of this but it looks interesting (Found out later it's a port)
Pokemon - So I watched the treehouse and they didn't announce anything good. I honestly don't understand why they left all the negative stuff for e3. All I can think of is how we won't have all 900~ pokemon and how pointless Pokemon Home is now.
Astral Chain - This actually looks really cool.Graphically and gameplay wise. Platinum make some fantastic games.
Empire of Sin - I don't understand what that was.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 The Black Order - Another game like Fire Emblem that just needed to be shown.
Cadence of Hyrule (insert long title here) - The release date is so soon. I think pricing will be the major factor on when I buy it. Nintendo Indies tend to be pretty pricey in Australia.
Mario & Sanic Olympics - Skateboarding looks cool as well as Gridiron.
Animal Crossing - I don't adore it I don't hate it. Mao being still pretty small worries me but they still have 9 months. Also 8 players is cool. I don't remember how many you could have in New Leaf. The delay sucks I was wanting September 2019 but atleast it's not being rushed.
Spyro - Should have launched on switch.
Hollow Knight - Is that DLC? Regardless nice it's coming
Ni no Kuni - Was announced before the direct. It's a ps3 port on switch and PC/PS4 are getting a remastered version so unless the switch version is $10 I'm not touching it. Regardless I'm hyped to actually get to play this as I don't think I'll ever play it on PS3.
Rest of Sizzle Real - Surprised Super Mario Maker 2 didn't get it's own section and was only given a few seconds otherwise everything else didn't deserve a main section.
Banjo Kazooie - I'm sorry DO NOT TEASE A NEW DONKEY KONG GAME LIKE THAT! As someone that doesn't play smash I've had over a year of you pushing smash like it's the only thing on the system you can't start faking out fans like that who enjoy other series. It's the nintendo switch not the Smash Switch. Okay regardless glad everyone is getting Banjo Kazooie.
Breath of the Wild 2 - Very interesting very very interesting. I'm going to stay optimistic about this.

So in summary
The Good
Luigi's Mansion looks amazing. Day 1 buying it now. (Please be October)
Fire Emblem still looks good
Pokemon while it's sad about the other stuff it still looks fantastic.
Animal Crossing looks decent.
(Not Nintendo) Ni no Kuni remaster is hype
Can't deny Banjo Kazooie is cool and a big step for Microsoft x Nintendo
Breath of the wild 2 is a thing now and it's dark which is interesting. (I'm actually planning on trying to try Botw again on stream I'm hoping that playing it on stream and getting help from viewers will help me enjoy it more as there was only a few small things that bothered me)

The Bad
Pokemon is getting a downgrade
Animal Crossing got delayed I wanted a September/October release but coming in it did feel unlikely.
They faked out a new Donkey Kong game
No new IPs
No new game other than Botw 2 (which isn't coming anytime soon Holiday 2020 bare earliest)

I'd say it was a good direct but a bad e3. e3 to me is when you show off new stuff. They had no new stuff. Basically every company had no good new announcements. Nintendo has this issue where they tend to announce stuff throughout the year. Had they surprised announced Animal Crossing during this event and Luigi's Mansion 3 that would have been hype as fuck so i also have to keep that in mind.

Honestly why didn't they announce Animal Crossing would be delayed last direct then announce a release date this direct I feel like that would have made that part of e3 a lot better.

Looking forward to watching Luigi's Mansion and Astral Chain gameplay.

Nintendo still had the best show imo.

Overall

Best announcement - Ghostwire: Toyko
The game concept sounds really cool I can't help but want to hear more
Best conference Nintendo
Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Astral Chain, Botw2 all pretty big.
Worst conference Sony Bethesda (Between Microsoft, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Square Enix & Nintendo)
Sony wins due to not showing up but for the companies that showed up Bethesda was the company that had the least excitement for me. Probably because of the games they showed but the lack of Elders Scroll VI and Strafield sucked.
Biggest surprise - Breath of the Wild 2
Was not expecting a new breath of the wild game. I thought for sure we'd see a new donkey kong game, pikmin 4 and other series way before a botw2 announcement.
Biggest disappointment - Sword/Shield won't include all pokemon...
...and you can't transfer them from other titles. Just the only pokemon announcement at e3 and it was awful. Sure we saw gameplay and the new gym leader (and 2 new pokemon but for some reason they didn't show them during the direct or treehouse...) it's just such a terrible announcement.
Best presenter - Bam Bam
Best dog
Cutest moment - Ikumi Nakamura
She was so cute when she announced Ghostwire: Toyko
Best moment - Keanu Reeves
YOU'RE BREATHTAKING
Coolest game - Roller Champions
Looking fun I'll be streaming it later.
Most tilt - Froza Lego
The dlc actually looks good and everyone is majorly titled. Tbh I'm glad they are if it stops people pre-ordering stuff they know nothing about that will be good.
Best game releasing in 2019 - Luigi's Mansion 3
This game won me over during the direct
Best game releasing in 2020 - Animal Crossing: New Horizon
So I might not love what I have seen but it's still Animal Crossing and I'm going to love it.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Sky, they didn't fake out a Donkey Kong game. The trailer for Banjo was a shot for shot remake of the trailer we saw for K. Rool's reveal last year.

It is interesting to see someone's perspective who doesn't know these trailers are for Smash.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 12 Jun 2019 09:00 Sky, they didn't fake out a Donkey Kong game. The trailer for Banjo was a shot for shot remake of the trailer we saw for K. Rool's reveal last year.

It is interesting to see someone's perspective who doesn't know these trailers are for Smash.
As someone who never watched the smash direct I had no idea so all I could think was oh cool new Donkey Kong game. If you don't have a new donkey kong game to be released don't show content like that for a game 9 months old after already revealing a smash character. It's misleading as hell for anyone that doesn't play smash. I honestly don't see the point of showing just DK why not show a bunch of different smash characters to make it clear it's not a new DK game from the get go. Smash includes a ton of characters not just DK, Diddy and K Rool. Other than them being both rare titles I see no connection between them and Banjo.

Regardless it rubbed me the complete wrong way as a massive DK fan. Companies need to be careful. They did it for Animal Crossing purposely and they knew they did but they then announced Animal Crossing Switch so it was fine but this just wasn't. When K Rool was announced in a smash direct it wasn't a fake since you knew it wasn't a DK Game.

Just really wish nintendo understood that not everyone likes smash so faking a series for a smash reveal is going to upset people. The fact it was Banjo Kazooie made it less of an issue I think for people since it was such a asked for character but had they announced Cranky Kong or something I feel more people would have felt upset.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

SkyPikachu wrote: 12 Jun 2019 09:51
The Shoemaker wrote: 12 Jun 2019 09:00 Sky, they didn't fake out a Donkey Kong game. The trailer for Banjo was a shot for shot remake of the trailer we saw for K. Rool's reveal last year.

As someone who never watched the smash direct I had no idea so all I could think was oh cool new Donkey Kong game. If you don't have a new donkey kong game to be released don't show content like that for a game 9 months old after already revealing a smash character. It's misleading as hell for anyone that doesn't play smash. I honestly don't see the point of showing just DK why not show a bunch of different smash characters to make it clear it's not a new DK game from the get go. Smash includes a ton of characters not just DK, Diddy and K Rool. Other than them being both rare titles I see no connection between them and Banjo.

Regardless it rubbed me the complete wrong way as a massive DK fan. Companies need to be careful. They did it for Animal Crossing purposely and they knew they did but they then announced Animal Crossing Switch so it was fine but this just wasn't. When K Rool was announced in a smash direct it wasn't a fake since you knew it wasn't a DK Game.

Just really wish nintendo understood that not everyone likes smash so faking a series for a smash reveal is going to upset people. The fact it was Banjo Kazooie made it less of an issue I think for people since it was such a asked for character but had they announced Cranky Kong or something I feel more people would have felt upset.
I don't know man, I have very little sympathy here, it was an exact remake of the K Rool trailer, a very popular trailer :lol: Any time you see visuals as nice as those you know it's Smash.

The trailer even started off by showing characters like Mario, Samus and Link.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 12 Jun 2019 09:59
SkyPikachu wrote: 12 Jun 2019 09:51

I don't know man, I have very little sympathy here, it was an exact remake of the K Rool trailer, a very popular trailer :lol: Any time you see visuals as nice as those you know it's Smash.

The trailer even started off by showing characters like Mario, Samus and Link.
If I wasn't sure what it was there'd be plenty of others that don't either. Tropical Freeze was 5 years ago so it seemed like a perfect time to announce a new donkey kong game. We also haven't heard what retro studios has been doing lately either so everything aligned to a new DK game. Regardless of what everyone thought I felt hard done by since the trailer was misleading. People got shitty when they announced Metroid prime: Federation Force and that didn't even tease anything the reveal showed a 3ds and showed straight up shitty 3ds graphics. The reason why people were upset was because the content was bad. This content instead wasn't bad. Everyone's excuse is 'Yeah but we got Banjo Kazooie in smash so who cares" which shouldn't matter regardless it was a teaser.

Am I now suppose to think every trailer is a smash dlc and not get excited? Should I totally be okay with Nintendo using DK footage and not releasing a new game even though a studio hasn't released something in 5 years.

This was right near the end of the 40 minutes direct after zero new game releases in a direct surrounded by ports a smash dlc announcement and news about games we already knew we knew nintendo had something to announce and a new DK game seemed to fit perfectly here. Last reveal being is usually always pretty big and a smash character really doesn't cut it.

I did notice the Smash stuff at the start and so my mindset was what they did with animal crossing and that they'd announce a DK character then go and Announce a new DK game.

I guess it wasn't DKs time :(

Also remember this was 2:40am in the morning for me

Rest of the year is looking great for nintendo.

June - Super Mario Maker 2
July - Fire Emblem: Three Houses + Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
August - Astral Chain
September - Links Awakening + Daemon X Machina + Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age — Definitive Edition
October - (Luigi's Mansion please)
November - Pokemon
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Bowser specifically said Animal Crossing is delayed to allow employees to have a good work-life balance (i.e. avoid crunch), so I fully support that. A minor delay on an entertainment product when there are TONS of games to tide us over in exchange for people not being subjected to abusive overwork requirements is an easy trade-off.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming