Main Event Quarterfinals

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
This Old Neon
Administrator

Main Event Quarterfinals

Post by This Old Neon »

The Quarterfinals feature four single-elimination brackets. Pick the best of each match-up and cross your fingers.
  • You can only vote for ONE (1) game.
  • The game with the most votes in each bracket will advance to the Project Semifinals.
  • You can’t change your votes once they’ve been submitted, so click carefully. Voting closes on Saturday at 11:59 P.M. ADT.
VOTE HERE

Bracket 1: Time Door
Portal (2007, Multiplatform)
Chrono Trigger (1995, SNES)

Bracket 2: Brick Land
Tetris (1989, GB)
Super Mario World (1990, SNES)

Bracket 3: Dudes Who Are Also Bats
Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009, Multiplatform)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997, PS1)

Bracket 4: ? vs !
Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988, NES)
Metal Gear Solid (1998, PS1)
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: Main Event Quarterfinals

Post by Sharecrow »

I’m going to have to think about this because of bracket 3. Castlevania: SotN and Arkham Asylum both deserve to be in the top 4.

I’m abstaining from the first poll due to not having played Portal. Second poll I’m going with Super Mario Workd since there’s stuff to do in it. The fourth poll I’m going with MGS due to its awesomeness. I like Mario 3 but never thought it was as incredible as it is made out to be. I say that without having major gripes with it. Perhaps it’s because I didn’t get to play it much when it was contemporary. So it goes.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

This Old Neon wrote: 28 May 2019 00:19 The Quarterfinals feature four single-elimination brackets. Pick the best of each match-up and cross your fingers.
  • You can only vote for ONE (1) game.
  • The game with the most votes in each bracket will advance to the Project Semifinals.
  • You can’t change your votes once they’ve been submitted, so click carefully. Voting closes on Saturday at 11:59 P.M. ADT.
VOTE HERE

Bracket 1: Time Door

Tetris (1989, GB)

Due to the old thread taking me to the new poll I didn't vote properly and missed first three polls.

Let it be known I vote for
1. Portal
2. Tetris
3. Symphony of the night
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Portal
Tetris
Batman
Smb3
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I went ahead and voted for Symphony of the Night in the third poll.

Thought I’d not my personal top eight - at least at this moment. The top 15 or so churn and swap places. In no particular order:

1. Shadow Hearts: Covenant
2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
3. Tales of Symphonia
4. Skies of Arcadia
5. R-Type
6. Shinobi (PS2)
7. Dragon Warrior VII
8. Berzerk!
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Ouenben wrote: 28 May 2019 00:25 Due to the old thread taking me to the new poll I didn't vote properly and missed first three polls.

1. Portal
2. Tetris
3. Symphony of the night
Surely you like, looked at the polls and didn't just blindly hammer one of the buttons before the words had even loaded onto the page though?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

This Old Neon wrote: 28 May 2019 00:19 Bracket 1: Time Door

Tetris (1989, GB)

1. Portal - As much as I love Chrono Trigger, when I get down to the end of these events I like to try to taper off my personal preferences and start voting for what I perceive to be more tightly designed experiences. Portal introduces and then executes on a concept extremely well, and then weaves it into a thrilling narrative with a satisfying conclusion, all in a well-paced bite-sized package.

2. Tetris

3. Batman: Arkham Asylum - After much deliberating. It might not make it to my Top 25 in terms of what I love and enjoy, but it absolutely makes it into maybe my top 15 in terms of what games are perfectly balanced and well-designed. It has perfect metrovania flow, great memorable areas, the Scarecrow encounters, really nice balance between approaches to getting through areas (stealth, fighting, both), nice balance with all the tools, and GREAT smooth satisfying combat. Good acting, too. Good art/set design. So much to love about this game.

4. Boy oh boy. Super Mario Bros. 3 won in 2015, and Metal Gear Solid took 2nd place in 2012. Metal Gear deserves its time in the sun. And there are two Super Mario platformers in the Top 8? That's not right. I'll give it to Metal Gear Solid for using the nascent 3D format to start putting together the fundamentals and the language of the stealth/action genre. It's partly because of that strength that it's one of the few early-3D games that holds up relatively well today.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

? Vs ! Is clever.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

Kong Wen wrote: 28 May 2019 00:39
Ouenben wrote: 28 May 2019 00:25 Due to the old thread taking me to the new poll I didn't vote properly and missed first three polls.

1. Portal
2. Tetris
3. Symphony of the night
Surely you like, looked at the polls and didn't just blindly hammer one of the buttons before the words had even loaded onto the page though?
It was late, I was tired, and quickly trying to see the results of Super metroid vs Metal gear again so clicked the bottom one to try and clear it quickly so I could see the previous poll. Didn't occur to me it would be the upcoming poll which didn't have a thread yet :|
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 28 May 2019 01:09 ? Vs ! Is clever.
Thank you for being the first person to give my brilliant poll names the recognition they deserve. ;)