Tetris Effect

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Tetris Effect

Post by Kong Wen »

In honour of Tetris winning the 2019 BGE, I booted up Tetris Effect on PSVR last night. I managed to snag it on sale for $20 off, which would have been enough to make me pull the trigger even if I hadn't recently hopped into the VR pool.

Anyway, it's pretty good. I find a lot of the effects distracting from the core game, but that's because I'm used to being a Tetris tryhard. :lol: I'm also still not fully used to more modern Tetris amenities like T-Spins (I'm going to have to practise setting up for them).

There's a Virtual Boy-looking stage that I'm going to have to figure out how to play on, because it was really lovely looking in the VR headset.

For now I'm just casually working my way through the journey/campaign mode.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Tetris Effect

Post by Claytone »

I'm a pretty big fan of Tetris Effect! Haven't knocked out its journey mode yet, but I like it. Kinda wish I had a PSVR. Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity to play without it!
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 17 Jun 2019 19:06 I'm a pretty big fan of Tetris Effect! Haven't knocked out its journey mode yet, but I like it. Kinda wish I had a PSVR. Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity to play without it!
I haven't played without, but I can say VR definitely add something to the experience. That said, I find a lot of the 3D/immersive effects in this game kind of hokey and weird—not as focused and stylistic as in Beat Saber, for example. After I get through the journey mode and maybe get tired of all the explosions and particles and effects, I can see myself tuning the options to be as standard as possible for longer play sessions.

Also unlike Beat Saber, in which you can swipe at notes beside and behind you, the actual game is only being played on a flat plane in front of you, so all you're really getting from the VR is more effects.

I guess that's why it's called that.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

I got my copy today (nice deal at £10!) And I absolutely adore it. The visuals and music are trippy, cool, weird, fun, calming and hectic. Going through the journeys is sweet not knowing what soundtrack and effect I'll next have. It's very apparent this was made by the same guy as Rez which I now need to hunt down.

Kong you unlock a really cool effect /skin at level 50 btw.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Ouenben wrote: 17 Jun 2019 23:26 I got my copy today (nice deal at £10!) And I absolutely adore it. The visuals and music are trippy, cool, weird, fun, calming and hectic. Going through the journeys is sweet not knowing what soundtrack and effect I'll next have. It's very apparent this was made by the same guy as Rez which I now need to hunt down.

Kong you unlock a really cool effect /skin at level 50 btw.
Level 50 is going to be a hell of a grind! I'm only level 23 or something now.

That reminds me, I'll have to make my contribution towards the weekly event sometime today!

I've completed the Journey Mode with an A rank in every sequence, so I believe my next step is to go back through it on Expert since I think there's a trophy for that. I'm also chipping away at the Effect Mode-specific trophies. The rest of the game is going to be a massive grind, but thankfully Tetris is a suitable endless grind game.