BOTTOM 192 — Week 3 — Poll 32

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is NOT QUITE THE BEST BUT DOESN'T DESERVE THIS FATE (YET...)?

128 — Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (2005, DS)
86%
129 — Chrono Trigger DS (2008, DS)
14%

Total votes: 7

This Old Neon
Administrator

BOTTOM 192 — Week 3 — Poll 32

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round Lower Bracket!

Each game in the lower bracket is still seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools! Every game in the lower bracket has already been defeated by another game in a 1-on-1 poll to get to this point. This is their chance to claw their way back into the main event... but the stakes are high. The games that lose in these polls are out of the tournament for good! The games that survive will face the next crop of upper bracket losers in the next round.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Niahak

Re: BOTTOM 192 — Week 3 — Poll 32

Post by Niahak »

Chrono Trigger DS is a refinement, and even calling it that is a bit of a stretch. It's been retranslated, but aside from some weird terminology / likely censorship around Mystics, I remember the original Ted Woolsey translation being fine. It has an additional dungeon but it's not particularly interesting and just adds a minor link to Chrono Cross.

Dawn of Sorrow is at least a game unto itself.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: BOTTOM 192 — Week 3 — Poll 32

Post by Kong Wen »

Agreed with Niahak. And I like the Woolsey translation. Most of his translations in fact. More than just "accepting" or "tolerating" them out of an understanding of the technical and time limitations had had. They have a nostalgic charm. Translation in 16-bit games was really stylistic, between ol' Ted and something like Working Designs cultural-reference-laden comedy scripts.

Anyway, Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs and best games of all time, so I'll vote for it when it comes up. :D Dawn of Sorrow may not be quite as good as Aria of Sorrow, but it's a surprisingly great and smooth sequel for those fans of the original. Actually gameplay-wise it is pretty great, it's really only in the area of art style that it doesn't measure up as well.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming