Round 6: Cerberus

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What 5 games should advance to Round 7?

Poll ended at 29 Oct 2015 20:10

1980 - Berzerk - A2600
10%
1986 - Castlevania - NES
24%
1987 - Wonder Boy in Monster Land - Arcade
12%
1988 - Super Contra - NES
14%
1996 - Wipeout XL / Wipeout 2097 - PS1
8%
2002 - Shinobi - PS2
4%
2012 - Rune Factory 4 - 3DS
8%
2013 - Papers, Please - PC
20%
2014 - Threes! - iOS
No votes

Total votes: 50

This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

You can vote for 1-5 games in this poll. Vote carefully—you can't change your votes after submitting them. The top 5 games at the end of the week will move on to Round 7: The Top 128 Qualifiers.

1980 - Berzerk - A2600
1986 - Castlevania - NES
1987 - Wonder Boy in Monster Land - Arcade
1988 - Super Contra - NES
1996 - Wipeout XL / Wipeout 2097 - PS1
2002 - Shinobi - PS2
2012 - Rune Factory 4 - 3DS
2013 - Papers, Please - PC
2014 - Threes! - iOS

You are encouraged to discuss your choices and your reasons for selecting the games you did.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Round 6: Cerberus

Post by The Shoemaker »

Rune Factory 4 is a really good one. It's just a very good life sim, while also being a decent RPG. The gameplay can be a bit repetitive, the fighting is varied with quite a few different weapon types. It's a game that can get you hooked real easy.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Rune Factory 4 blew me away. It was my first and favorite 3DS game. There's just so much to do in the game.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm still playing Rune Factory 4. In my opinion it's one of the best games on the 3DS and definitely the best Rune Factory game in the series.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Can't vote for any here. Although I would probably vote for Rune Factory 4 had I played it yet. I absolutely loved 3, probably my favourite DS game.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Berserk (2600) is one of the best, freakiest, FREAKIEST games of all time. The 2600 version is one in a tiny list of games that translated better from the arcade to the console, and Evil Otto remains one of the great gaming supervillians.

Wonder Boy in Monsterland - a very personal vote and likely its only nominator, this is the best 2D ARPG from the first 20 years of gaming, full stop. Plenty of games did it first, even more did it later, a ton are true classics, but this is the best.

Wip3out 2097/XL - the one game I'll consider over F-Zero GX. One of the most polished games of the 32-bit generation remains one of the great pioneering titles in gaming. The racing spoke for itself, but the soundtrack and presentation design remain benchmarks for the media.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

VictorViper wrote:Berserk (2600) is one of the best, freakiest, FREAKIEST games of all time. The 2600 version is one in a tiny list of games that translated better from the arcade to the console,
As someone who has never played the 2600 version of Berzerk, I have to ask: What makes you say that about the console version of Berzerk?
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

TheGreatNads wrote:
VictorViper wrote:Berserk (2600) is one of the best, freakiest, FREAKIEST games of all time. The 2600 version is one in a tiny list of games that translated better from the arcade to the console,
As someone who has never played the 2600 version of Berzerk, I have to ask: What makes you say that about the console version of Berzerk?
Essentially the same things that make me say the same for Space Invaders: negligible difference in game play from the cabinet, near infinite variations.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

I liked Rune Factory 4 a lot myself, and it's a great relaxing game, but I'll have to think about whether I want to vote for it here. I'm impressed it's gotten so much support. I figured it had flown under the radar like all the previous ones (and - let's be honest - RF3 was the first really good one, and none of the console ones have been).
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Niahak wrote:I liked Rune Factory 4 a lot myself, and it's a great relaxing game, but I'll have to think about whether I want to vote for it here. I'm impressed it's gotten so much support. I figured it had flown under the radar like all the previous ones (and - let's be honest - RF3 was the first really good one, and none of the console ones have been).
Video game forums - where niche games are blockbusters ;)
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons