Star Fox Wii U thoughts

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Re: Star Fox Wii U thoughts

Post by Kreegs »

The original Star Fox is not truly a 3D game, much like Mario Kart and F Zero are not true 3D games. The games simply used a "3D effect."
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:The original Star Fox is not truly a 3D game, much like Mario Kart and F Zero are not true 3D games. The games simply used a "3D effect."
That's right. It didn't even simulate movement in 3D, because you only move side-to-side, up and down, and forward. You can't double back and move around in 3D space like you can in other space combat or pseudo-3D games like Wing Commander or Doom.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kreegs wrote:The original Star Fox is not truly a 3D game, much like Mario Kart and F Zero are not true 3D games. The games simply used a "3D effect."
That's not true. It uses true 3D polygons. Mario Kart and F-Zero do indeed use the mode 7 scaling trick, but Starfox is legit 3D.

Edit: Unless you meant something along the lines of what Jog said, in which case we're arguing along two different definitions of 3D.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:
That's not true. It uses true 3D polygons. Mario Kart and F-Zero do indeed use the mode 7 scaling trick, but Starfox is legit 3D.

Edit: Unless you meant something along the lines of what Jog said, in which case we're arguing along two different definitions of 3D.
Well, I'm arguing along the lines of what Jog said, because it's the only definition that's pertinent to the control pad/stick problem. When you're moving around in 3-dimensional planes, the stick has more tangible advantages over the directional-pad—even a digital stick like the N64's, as demonstrated by Star Fox 64. But in a game like Star Fox, where you're really just riding the 2 planes of the TV screen (x & y axes), a directional pad works just fine.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Can we all just agree that some of us would like to purchase and play this game if it was available in some format on the VC? :-) This thread is supposed to be about Star Fox EXCITEMENT!
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: Well, I'm arguing along the lines of what Jog said, because it's the only definition that's pertinent to the control pad/stick problem. When you're moving around in 3-dimensional planes, the stick has more tangible advantages over the directional-pad—even a digital stick like the N64's, as demonstrated by Star Fox 64. But in a game like Star Fox, where you're really just riding the 2 planes of the TV screen (x & y axes), a directional pad works just fine.
I understand that, but I just wasn't sure if Kreegs was clear on the fact that the technologies used for F-Zero and Mario Kart were sprite scaling whereas Starfox renders 3D polygons in a 3D environment.

I completely agree that you don't actually have agency in 3 dimensions in Starfox (and in fact have more in F-Zero and Mario Kart despite the 3D effect being more illusory).
Kreegs wrote:Can we all just agree that some of us would like to purchase and play this game if it was available in some format on the VC? :-) This thread is supposed to be about Star Fox EXCITEMENT!
I can definitely agree on that! I managed to find it at a retro game store for SNES and really liked it. I lost like half my lives on the final stage and game overed, though, so that was no fun. :( I need to get back to it and try again.

I imagine the SuperFX chip is the reason it and Yoshi's Island aren't on VC. But hey, at least it's getting a new installment! I've actually only played Starfox 1 and Starfox 64, so I don't know much about the rest of the series, but I'm sure the new one will be fun. Could potentially be an opportunity for Nintendo to really sell the Gamepad, although I'm not sure how.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Starmancer wrote:Wouldn't it just be the D-Pad mapped to the stick, therefore working just as sluggishly as the D-Pad?
I've found that using the anologue stick for games designed for the d-pad can sometime end up feeling more precise because it's easier to move diagonally.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kreegs wrote:Can we all just agree that some of us would like to purchase and play this game if it was available in some format on the VC? :-) This thread is supposed to be about Star Fox EXCITEMENT!
For now, we can only use the GamePad like a portable TV in Wii Mode (not using the buttons or touching the screen from it).

But honestly, it will be interesting what comes of Miyamoto's new project of the [new] Wii U Star Fox game.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote:
For now, we can only use the GamePad like a portable TV in Wii Mode (not using the buttons or touching the screen from it).

But honestly, it will be interesting what comes of Miyamoto's new project of the [new] Wii U Star Fox game.
But it's not available on Wii VC either, right?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Correct. This game is not on any VC service legally. I am sure some people have obtained their digital copy by other means, but I am only into supporting legal games. Since I had a Genesis and not a SNES, I have to wait until Nintendo puts it up on the shop.