Round 1: U is for Underrated masterpieces!

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What game should be allowed to rise above its lowly status to frolic in the next round?

Poll ended at 19 Sep 2015 20:15

1991 - Metroid II: The Return of Samus - GB
26%
1998 - Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit - PC
6%
1999 - Unreal Tournament - PC
18%
2005 - Advance Wars: Dual Strike - DS
14%
2005 - Fire Pro Wrestling Returns - PS2
2%
2005 - TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - PS2
2%
2007 - Half-Life 2: Episode Two - PC
14%
2008 - Braid - Multiplatform
12%
2010 - Shank - Multiplatform
No votes
2014 - Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - PC
6%

Total votes: 50

This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

You can vote for 0-9 games in this poll. Pick as many or as few as you like, but vote carefully—you can't change your votes after submitting them. The #1 ranked game at the end of the week will move on to Round 2.

1991 - Metroid II: The Return of Samus - GB
1998 - Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit - PC
1999 - Unreal Tournament - PC
2005 - Advance Wars: Dual Strike - DS
2005 - Fire Pro Wrestling Returns - PS2
2005 - TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - PS2
2007 - Half-Life 2: Episode Two - PC
2008 - Braid - Multiplatform
2010 - Shank - Multiplatform
2014 - Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut - PC

You are encouraged to discuss your choices and your reasons for selecting the games you did.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Round 1: U is for Underrated masterpieces!

Post by Kong Wen »

I really liked Metroid II, and I was quite surprised by it. I thought it would be awful but it's really quite solid.

Braid is a great puzzle game with an interesting aesthetic and some fun mechanics, but I'm not sure I'd call it BGE material...

I greatly enjoyed the SNES version of Shadowrun, and it sounds like this latest PC entry in the franchise kind of has its roots in that earlier game, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Maybe I'll devote some time to playing Shadowrun this week before making a final decision on this poll...
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

I'm going to chock UT being in these brackets up to more people nominating UT2k4, which is alright in my book. But Episode 2? That's the ultimate refinement of the franchise.
Turai
Aspirant

Post by Turai »

Pass, only played two games here, and neither long enough to properly judge them.
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

I'm surprised that there's not a HL bandwagon, to be honest. I've always hated the series.
Kong Wen wrote:I greatly enjoyed the SNES version of Shadowrun, and it sounds like this latest PC entry in the franchise kind of has its roots in that earlier game, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Maybe I'll devote some time to playing Shadowrun this week before making a final decision on this poll...
You should put Lisa down and play some! Grand game, and I need to finish out Hong Kong.

Oh, Unreal, so much clickable boom.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Advance Wars is such a great series, they seriously need to do something with it again.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

UT and Metroid 2 were easy choices. Timesplitters FP remains unplayed and more importantly, could never exceed the quality, glory and pure insanity of TS2.

Fun memory that will never leave me: My friend and I played TS2 versus bots all the time. Took the 'Cube to his place after he rigged up a booming sound system and on the hottest day of the summer. Cranked volume, open door facing the street... and me with a flamethrower as the entire group of ladybots spawned in the room I happened to be in. The wild screams landed us a visit from the cops. You don't forget that.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Humphries90 wrote:Advance Wars is such a great series, they seriously need to do something with it again.
The funny thing about this list for me is that this is one of the only Advance Wars games I did not play. I played 1, 2 and Days of Ruin, but not Dual Strike.

I don't think I voted on this one because I haven't played most of these.
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

Kong Wen wrote:I really liked Metroid II, and I was quite surprised by it. I thought it would be awful but it's really quite solid.
Don't.
You
Dare.
:x
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

neuzd wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:I really liked Metroid II, and I was quite surprised by it. I thought it would be awful but it's really quite solid.
Don't.
You
Dare.
:x
Sorry to hear you didn't like it. It's not for everyone I guess. I thought it did a lot of things quite well, even with the more linear stage progression. It blows the original Metroid away in every respect, and it actually has a surprisingly strong atmosphere considering the limitations of monochrome (of course, I originally played it on the GCN's Game Boy Player with the Hori GB pad, so I had a bit more luxury in terms of look & feel).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming