Forum Testing & Suggestions

Includes Forum Rules, major announcements, and important community votes. Post bug reports, feedback, and suggestions.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Forum Testing & Suggestions

Post by VictorViper »

I haven't had the same issue as share with regard to the bulk of the issues he described, but I can confirm the "snap to newest" behavior of the chat when scrolling to review older posts. You need to hold down on the phone's screen to maintain your position otherwise it skips back to whatever most recent posts will fit in the box.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:I haven't had the same issue as share with regard to the bulk of the issues he described, but I can confirm the "snap to newest" behavior of the chat when scrolling to review older posts. You need to hold down on the phone's screen to maintain your position otherwise it skips back to whatever most recent posts will fit in the box.
Oh, he's just referring to the snap back to the newest post when a new one is posted? I'll see if there's an option for that... but honestly, not having the posts auto-scroll would be highly annoying if you accidentally had the chat scrolled up even by a pixel. If you want to read back, a better way would be to use the Archive, which doesn't auto-snap.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:
Sharecrow wrote:This is a nit pick but I noticed that the chat box, when it has to favor a post to not cut one off due to size, will favor the top (oldest) one rather than the bottom (newest) one. It makes it where you have to scroll up and hold it to read a newer post or it will snap down to show the older post (hiding the newer one). I'd prefer it to be okay showing only part of an older post so it could show all of a newer one if that's okay with y'all and if the chat box allows for that from a design perspective.

I've also noticed it won't let me click on a link in the newest post if the link is wrapped and following text. So if someone types something and drops a link and the link is on the second line of their post, I can never click it (it vanishes when I try and scrolls up to only show the first line of their post). I have to wait for someone else to post something before the link is clickable.

I've only observed these things on my phone so it could be specific to that.
I'll have to admit, I'm very confused about what you're describing, especially in the first paragraph. Can you take a screenshot of this behaviour? The chat doesn't care about cutting off posts due to size: the chat box has a set height, and scrolls old posts off the top of the page as new ones are posted. In other words, it doesn't endeavour to fit anything in the active viewing window.
I'll try to get one though it wouldn't illustrate it not allowing me to view a new posting. It sounded confusing when I wrote it, too. Let's try it this way. If there are three long posts of 3x length, and the chat box is only 8x tall, then when I'm just looking at it, it drops the newest message (completely hides it below the chat box so I have to scroll down to see it and it refuses to rest there if I'm not holding it), but shows the first and second message in their entirety. It would also show whatever the 2x lines were preceded that oldest message to get to the whole 8x.

I'll try to get screen shots next time. It's rare because long posts are relatively rare.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:I'll try to get screen shots next time. It's rare because long posts are relatively rare.
We can create them.
Sinnthro

Post by Sinnthro »

I'm digging the new (...old?) neon-esque imagery for the threads! Also Kong, you mentioned the theming for the forums is still being worked out, but I'm just curious as to whether there will options for switching between different themes or not. I don't even know if phpBB allows it, but I think vBulletin gave an option in user settings that let you choose between different pre-selected themes. If it's possible, it'd be cool to have the option for a light theme like it is currently, and a darker theme for those who prefer it. If it isn't possible or it's too much work, that's fine too, just throwing that suggestion into the hat.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sinnthro wrote:I'm digging the new (...old?) neon-esque imagery for the threads! Also Kong, you mentioned the theming for the forums is still being worked out, but I'm just curious as to whether there will options for switching between different themes or not. I don't even know if phpBB allows it, but I think vBulletin gave an option in user settings that let you choose between different pre-selected themes. If it's possible, it'd be cool to have the option for a light theme like it is currently, and a darker theme for those who prefer it. If it isn't possible or it's too much work, that's fine too, just throwing that suggestion into the hat.
It might be too much work, but it's definitely an option. I'll know more about just how much work it will be after we get the main/official theme done. Once that's done, it'll just be some forum elements that would need to be re-worked for a dark theme (instead of the whole forum!), so it might not be as bad as my ignorance is making it seem in my head. :lol:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Open question: do we care about chat sounds?

The reason I ask is because I want to get rid of all that administrative junk under the main buttons in the chat (i.e. the autorefresh notification, sounds checkbox, and forum name). I think it looks way cleaner and less hokey. Removing the sounds checkbox disables sound, even when you have it enabled in your user CP options. I could promise to look into a way to have sounds driven directly from the user CP, but I won't be able to figure that out.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Sounds annoying more than anything I forget it open and on and i'm here's a blooomp sound all the time.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:Sounds annoying more than anything I forget it open and on and i'm here's a blooomp sound all the time.
You can disable sound in your user control panel under the mChat tab (furthest to the right).
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I think I like the sounds, I'll usually have the chat on another page and it will remind me to check it.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons