Best Game of the Noughties (2000-09) - FINALS

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
This Old Neon
Administrator

Best Game of the Noughties (2000-09) - FINALS

Post by This Old Neon »

The final round of the “Best Game of the Noughties (2000-09)” is a competition between these nine fine games.
  • You can vote for ONE (1) game in the finals.
  • The top game will be the official “BEST GAME OF THE NOUGHTIES (2000-09)!!!”
  • You can’t change your votes once they’ve been submitted, so click carefully. Voting closes on Saturday at midnight ADT.
VOTE HERE

Best Game of the Noughties (2000-09)

Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009, Multiplatform)
BioShock (2008, Multiplatform)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003, GBA)
Demon's Souls (2009, PS3)
Final Fantasy X (2001, PS2)
Half-Life 2 (2004, PC)
Portal (2007, Multiplatform)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007, Wii)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002, GCN)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Best Game of the Noughties (2000-09) - FINALS

Post by Kong Wen »

Whew, this is a tough one. Almost every game here is a best-in-class/series/genre.
  • Arkham Asylum is the best 3D metrovania/beat'em-up. None of the subsequent Arkham games improved on this.
  • BioShock is a groundbreaking first-person horror/narrative thing. I didn't play the sequels enough to know whether they surpassed this.
  • Aria of Sorrow is a solid pick for best 2D metrovania on the 'vania side. Its DS sequel is great, too, but I think I prefer this one.
  • Demon's Souls redefined 3D action/adventure/RPGs. It has been surpassed by its spiritual sequels in the Dark Souls series, but it belongs here for basically reinventing the genre.
  • Final Fantasy X isn't even the best Final Fantasy of the Noughties.
  • Half-Life 2 is one of those games I haven't given a fair shake, but it's widely touted as a fantastic FPS campaign.
  • Portal is a brilliant FPP.
  • Super Mario Galaxy is the best 3D Mario, and arguably the best 3D platformer.
  • Wind Waker has been surpassed by Breath of the Wild.
Removing Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy X, and Wind Waker because they have been surpassed by games in their own series, even though I love them.

Removing BioShock and Half-Life 2 because I haven't played them enough to give them a fair comparison.

Between Arkham Asylum, Aria of Sorrow, Portal, and Super Mario Galaxy, I'm going to have to remove SMG because it's not really a preferred genre of mine... and probably Aria, since it didn't stick with me as long as the others (maybe because I shotgunned all the GBA and DS 'vanias in a very short span of time... my bad).

Whew, it's a tough choice between Arkham Asylum and Portal.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote: 21 May 2019 15:16 Whew, it's a tough choice between Arkham Asylum and Portal.
After all that deliberation, seeing in honed down like this, and realizing I still like Demon's Souls as much as or more than both of these games... I'm going to have to put it back on the list. It gets bonus points for being influential, too.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I went with Final Fantasy X here. I just adore that game. Almost voted for Batman: Arkham Asylum though...
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Arkham Asylum is considered metroidvania really? It's been a while since I played it but I never got metroidvania vibes to from it.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 21 May 2019 17:30 Arkham Asylum is considered metroidvania really? It's been a while since I played it but I never got metroidvania vibes to from it.
Yes.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 21 May 2019 15:16
  • Wind Waker has been surpassed by Breath of the Wild.
Surpassed? They feel like two completely different genres to me. One is a dungeon by dungeon puzzle story game while the others a complete open world with in-depth rpg mechanics.

If they weren't both zelda titles you'd never compare them. Nobody compared Wind Waker and Skyrim in 2011 even though BotW is far more like Skyrim.

Also I don't think comparing games to games that came out after 2009 is far in this category you're suppose to pick the best 2000-09 game not the best game that doesn't have a better version in 2010-19. That being said it seems like you're really trying to nit pick these games since you're struggling to find a winner.

Nonetheless I picked Wind Waker it felt like more of a game than portal even though portal was fantastic is was just so short lived that wind waker left a bigger mark on me. I am not suggesting portal should have been longer I think it's a good length it's just that because it's so short it's harder for me to vote for it over other huge games from this era that really cemented a place in my heart.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 22 May 2019 12:17Also I don't think comparing games to games that came out after 2009 is far in this category you're suppose to pick the best 2000-09 game not the best game that doesn't have a better version in 2010-19. That being said it seems like you're really trying to nit pick these games since you're struggling to find a winner.
Actually you're supposed to pick the game based on whatever criteria you want. :neon: They're all good games, so yes, I'm using a process of elimination to hone the selection down to the most deserving winner.

Breath of the Wild doesn't have in-depth RPG mechanics. They're both action-exploration games. In one of them, much of the exploration happens in dungeons. In the other, much of the exploration happens in discrete overworld areas that represent dungeons more believably folded into the fabric of the world. If I thought Wind Waker represented the pinnacle of what the series and the genre could attain, it would be points in its favour, but as it stands, it's just another good 15 year old game.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 22 May 2019 13:18
Slurmee wrote: 22 May 2019 12:17Also I don't think comparing games to games that came out after 2009 is far in this category you're suppose to pick the best 2000-09 game not the best game that doesn't have a better version in 2010-19. That being said it seems like you're really trying to nit pick these games since you're struggling to find a winner.
Actually you're supposed to pick the game based on whatever criteria you want. :neon: They're all good games, so yes, I'm using a process of elimination to hone the selection down to the most deserving winner.

Breath of the Wild doesn't have in-depth RPG mechanics. They're both action-exploration games. In one of them, much of the exploration happens in dungeons. In the other, much of the exploration happens in discrete overworld areas that represent dungeons more believably folded into the fabric of the world. If I thought Wind Waker represented the pinnacle of what the series and the genre could attain, it would be points in its favour, but as it stands, it's just another good 15 year old game.
Much more in-depth than Wind Waker (which isn't even close to an rpg in my eyes). I guess considering I loved one and hated the other I can see many differences between them which makes me categorize them in completely different genres. BotW to me has the different weapons, magical abilities and just the way you play makes it feel like an open world sandbox rpg something none of the other zelda titles had ever done before completely putting botw in a different genre/catergory it never felt like a zelda game to me so comparing them feels like comparing pokemon to fire emblem. Both strategy games but completely different styles of gameplay.

I did struggle to pick between Portal and Wind Waker though. Both greats games.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Really surprised how the voting is going so far I was sure a certain game was going to dominate the bracket but it's not even one of the games tied for 1st. I really hope we have a tie breaker for the grand final I feel like this side bracket deserve it.