Round 1: R is for Round 1: R

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What game should be allowed to rise above its lowly status to frolic in the next round?

Poll ended at 19 Sep 2015 20:15

1991 - Earnest Evans - SCD
2%
1992 - Kirby's Dream Land - GB
19%
1994 - Demon's Crest - SNES
13%
1994 - Star Wars: TIE Fighter - PC
17%
1994 - Earthworm Jim - Genesis/MD
17%
2004 - Need for Speed: Underground 2 - PS2
8%
2008 - Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - DS
10%
2009 - Killing Floor - PC
2%
2009 - Zeno Clash - PC
2%
2015 - Ori and the Blind Forest - PC/X1
10%

Total votes: 48

This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

You can vote for 0-9 games in this poll. Pick as many or as few as you like, but vote carefully—you can't change your votes after submitting them. The #1 ranked game at the end of the week will move on to Round 2.

1991 - Earnest Evans - SCD
1992 - Kirby's Dream Land - GB
1994 - Demon's Crest - SNES
1994 - Star Wars: TIE Fighter - PC
1994 - Earthworm Jim - Genesis/MD
2004 - Need for Speed: Underground 2 - PS2
2008 - Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - DS
2009 - Killing Floor - PC
2009 - Zeno Clash - PC
2015 - Ori and the Blind Forest - PC/X1

You are encouraged to discuss your choices and your reasons for selecting the games you did.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Round 1: R is for Round 1: R

Post by The Shoemaker »

FE shadow dragon isn't my favourite title in the series, but it's still a decent entry and gave regions outside of Japan a chance to try out the first game in the series. I'm just sad the 2nd DS remake didn't make it out of Japan.

The addition of online multiplayer and a prequel tutorial story was neat as well.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Yet another game I'm going to have to blitz this week: Ori and the Blind Forest. I was lucky enough to snag it for an accidental discount but haven't given it a try yet. It has its work cut out for it if it's going to unseat TIE Fighter as my pick in this poll, though.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

If it were any other Fire Emblem than Shadow Dragon, I'd give it a nod. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is easily the most mediocre of the Fire Emblem titles.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Abstaining - never played any of these.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Out of those I guess Shadow Dragon. Not my favourite in the series, but it's still a good game.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Unplayed and so not voting. Kirby got my attention for a few minutes, but was/is a trash game.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:Yet another game I'm going to have to blitz this week: Ori and the Blind Forest. I was lucky enough to snag it for an accidental discount but haven't given it a try yet. It has its work cut out for it if it's going to unseat TIE Fighter as my pick in this poll, though.
Alright, I took some time to devote some attention to Ori and the Blind Forest this morning, and it's definitely getting a vote from me. Much like how Guacamelee! has taken the exploration-platformer genre and refined its combat & control to perfection, I feel that Ori has done the same with the exploration side of that equation. The world and atmosphere are a perfect blend of beauty and sublime. It's still possible that it could screw this all up, but I like what I've seen so far.

I didn't play it long enough to vote for it exclusively, so I'm also voting for TIE Fighter. This is one of the best examples of space-sim cockpit/dogfight shooting games, a genre that has kind of disappeared.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

Demon's Crest is easily my favorite game out of this listing.
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

Kong Wen wrote:I didn't play it long enough to vote for it exclusively, so I'm also voting for TIE Fighter. This is one of the best examples of space-sim cockpit/dogfight shooting games, a genre that has kind of disappeared.
I'm really glad you voted for it, but with the successful crowdfunding of Star Citizen alongside a few other titles that have come out over the past year or two and including a few standbys that just wouldn't die (most noticeably the X series) the genre is starting to make a reappearance. We're still in the fight!