Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Post by The Shoemaker »

There's not enough Smash Bros. talk going on here! We can talk about anything Smash Bros. related here, probably mostly for the new games coming up but the old games are fine too. If possible we can see if Sakurai's daily Miiverse pictures can be posted here as well.

Anyways, I've been meaning to talk to you guys about the new characters introduced not too long ago; specifically Robin. The avatar from FE:Awakening was a character I've wanted since the game came out, I just always thought he would be a perfect addition because he is different from the rest of the Smash Fire Emblem cast.

Turns out Sakurai thought the same. Robin attacks with both tomes (magic) and swords, and it appears that his weapons have limited uses just like the actual Fire Emblem games. This could be a rather interesting gameplay mechanic as you're forced to use different strategies as the battle progresses because the traits of your character can change (though not as extreme as Samus to Zero Suit Samus in the last game). I can't tell if his tomes break or if he's just taunting in the trailer, but his sword definitely breaks and when it does it loses its magical properties and he then uses a Bronze Sword. After a while he gets his magical sword back again. Pretty cool character I think.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Post by The Shoemaker »

Pic of the Day:
Sakurai's Comment: This is the Tomodachi Life stage that's exclusive to the 3DS version! The front walls of the apartments disappear so you can see the area within when a fighter overlaps with the room. The rooms are randomly placed and selected from among several types. Planting an X Bomb behind a wall might be an effective tactic.

I think this is a pretty cute stage idea haha. It looks like it will work a lot like the Luigi's Mansion stage from brawl but there will be walls covering apartments with no characters in them. I'm hoping you can jump between floors, unlike the Luigi's Mansion stage where you could only jump through the middle section.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

I look forward to smashing walls in the Tomodachi Life apartment building... if it allows it! :-P

I wonder if Wario and Waluigi will get revealed?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote:I look forward to smashing walls in the Tomodachi Life apartment building... if it allows it! :-P

I wonder if Wario and Waluigi will get revealed?
Haha that would be quite the shock for the residents! I wonder if the Mii's in the background will speak their muffled language :lol:

And as characters? Wario probably, Waluigi has already been shown as an assist trophy.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Pic(s) of the day:
Sakurai's Comment: For the first time ever, I present to you…the main menu for the 3DS version!! The icons are even animated. The design concept may look similar if you've played other games I've worked on. But we had a hard time making this one because the bottom screen displays pictures matching each mode! This was quite a task for the UI (User Interface) designers, but they made it happen. Kudos to them! You can tap the screen to look up additional info like how to play--complete with diagrams.

More Sakurai menu's! I wonder if you can play with them like in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Three things I find interesting; 1) StreetPass confirmed woot woot! 2) There's a Wii U icon, this must mean that the two games are very interconnected or at least have a major feature they share together that's worthy of the main menu. 3) What appears to be the options menu is titled "games and more", does this mean there are more big game modes like Smash Run or is it just a funny way of describing game options?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

This was a picture from last week that I thought was a subtle, but greatly needed addition:
Sakurai's Comment: Here's a Screen K.O. shot. There are also patterns where players will disappear into the sky for Star K.O.s, but as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore.

I can't say how many times in brawl I would be playing a timed match and landed the last KO on someone only for them to float away into the sky and not count as a KO because the match ended. I think this is one of the main reason we decided not to use timed matches when we were playing our Smash Bros tournaments back on the other forum.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

I'm still in doubt about these games. First of, I wasn't going to buy either. But the additional features (retail copy with gc controller link & maybe Amiibo) made me second guessing about getting the Wii U version. It just that I didn't get into the GC Smash Bros. and I don't know I can with this new iteration. What I remember of the GC version is losing track of my character and the frantic moves of the others.

Q: Will this game hold as a single player (offline) game? Or is it specifically made for online/multiplayer?
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Well this game moves a little slower than the GC Smash Bros. so that mixed with the fact that they're using bright HD visuals now it should be easier for you to keep track of your characters. On the 3DS version they outline the characters to help you see them but I think it'll be easier on the Wii U.

Smash is very customizable so if you're going to play this game I recommend you start out by battling one computer player at a time at a low difficulty so you can get used to the controls as well as keeping track of your character. Not sure if you said you want the GC controller, but it won't be necessary by any means. I played this game on the 3DS and Wii U with the Pro Controller and it felt fine. But maybe you like the bigger buttons the GC controller offers.

With Brawl I spent most of my time offline. Assuming this keep keeps the series standard modes, there's a Classic Mode where you choose a character and battle through a number of stages with a boss at the end, and All-Star mode where you fight off every other character in the game. This version won't have a story mode but there appear to be many other additional modes like Smash Run on the 3DS. There was also a level editor in Brawl which I spent a bit of time with.

I'd say even if your hesitent about the game you might enjoy it just for all the extra features it usually has like the trophy's. There's usually a couple hundred trophy's to collect that act as a museum of Nintendo lore. Smash is really just one big game made to show of Nintendo's heritage and that's one of the reasons I keep coming back.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Pic of the Day:
Sakurai's Comment: I, Takamaru, have waited many years to appear in Super Smash Bros.! Link, Samus, Pit, and I debuted in the same year! Multidirectional Pinwheel Knife Rook Attack!! (FYI, I'm an Assist Trophy.)

They announced one of these games for the 3DS VC on Saturday so some people thought Takamaru would show up in Smash in some way or form, looks like they were right!
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote:They announced one of these games for the 3DS VC on Saturday so some people thought Takamaru would show up in Smash in some way or form, looks like they were right!
Yeah, Mysterious Murasame Castle... released on the European 3DS VC at the end of May, and coming here on August 7th.