TONe Forum Bonus Round Semi-Finals: Best Water Starter

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What is the best starter?

Poll ended at 28 Apr 2019 00:59

Squirtle
75%
Totodile
13%
Mudkip
13%
Froakie
No votes

Total votes: 8

This Old Neon
Administrator

TONe Forum Bonus Round Semi-Finals: Best Water Starter

Post by This Old Neon »

These slippery critters were voted the best of their generations, but how will they fare against their own kind?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: TONe Forum Bonus Round Semi-Finals: Best Water Starter

Post by The Shoemaker »

This may as well be Pikachu versus mouse Pokemon, Squirtle has this in the bag for sure.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 22 Apr 2019 08:20 This may as well be Pikachu versus mouse Pokemon, Squirtle has this in the bag for sure.
Are you kidding? Mudkips awesome as is Marshstomp Water Ground is wicked. Very much competes with Squirtle.

Also greninja gets a lot of love not that I care much about B&W since I've never touch the generation. Probably won't get much love here though
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote: 22 Apr 2019 14:50
The Shoemaker wrote: 22 Apr 2019 08:20 This may as well be Pikachu versus mouse Pokemon, Squirtle has this in the bag for sure.
Are you kidding? Mudkips awesome as is Marshstomp Water Ground is wicked. Very much competes with Squirtle.

Also greninja gets a lot of love not that I care much about B&W since I've never touch the generation. Probably won't get much love here though
Water starters have very strong designs, but in terms of what people will vote for, you can't beat a gen 1 pokemon that's in the top 5 most popular pokemon overall. On top of that, Squirtle is the most popular entry in it's evolution. These are facts!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I agree with Shoe here, but Mudkip is the only thing that comes close to competing with Squirtle. And I'm voting based purely on their initial starter form (Blastoise and Marshstomp both look goofy).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 22 Apr 2019 15:18
Slurmee wrote: 22 Apr 2019 14:50

Water starters have very strong designs, but in terms of what people will vote for, you can't beat a gen 1 pokemon that's in the top 5 most popular pokemon overall. On top of that, Squirtle is the most popular entry in it's evolution. These are facts!
Stoopid gen oners Mudkip is love Mudkip is life.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I think it's clear enough to call this early, unless someone manages to convince a bunch of forum enthusiasts from the Pokémon fandom to show up.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 25 Apr 2019 13:12 I think it's clear enough to call this early, unless someone manages to convince a bunch of forum enthusiasts from the Pokémon fandom to show up.
Time to make some new accounts to skew the votes.

How's these account names sound?

Mudkipz4life
iLuvMudkip
MudkipIsBae
xXMudkipXx
MuddyBoy
BestBoyMudkip

All jokes aside. Gen 1 just is too popular and I think Bulbasaur and Charmander would clean up in Grass and Fire too. They're the only 3 solid perfect starters plus nostalgia factor really helps. None of the other trios really blew up like Gen 1.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 25 Apr 2019 14:24
Kong Wen wrote: 25 Apr 2019 13:12 I think it's clear enough to call this early, unless someone manages to convince a bunch of forum enthusiasts from the Pokémon fandom to show up.

Mudkipz4life
iLuvMudkip
MudkipIsBae
xXMudkipXx
MuddyBoy
BestBoyMudkip

All jokes aside. Gen 1 just is too popular and I think Bulbasaur and Charmander would clean up in Grass and Fire too. They're the only 3 solid perfect starters plus nostalgia factor really helps. None of the other trios really blew up like Gen 1.
Surely there are some iconic non-starters from post-Gen-1 though? Lucario seems to have a lot of fans.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 25 Apr 2019 14:33
Slurmee wrote: 25 Apr 2019 14:24

Mudkipz4life
iLuvMudkip
MudkipIsBae
xXMudkipXx
MuddyBoy
BestBoyMudkip

Surely there are some iconic non-starters from post-Gen-1 though? Lucario seems to have a lot of fans.
Greninja, Most Eeveelutions, Salamence, Togepi, Luigia, Mudkip, Gardevoir, Rayquaza and Rowlet